Chapter 2 - Diver Down

You walked down the pontoon to where John B had just pulled up the HMS Pogue. You were carrying a cooler with full of snacks of your day on the boat.

"Morning y'all," you said as you took JJ's hand as he helped you into the boat.

"You brought food, thank God. I'm starving," he said dramatically. You laughed at his desperation as he clamoured to open the cooler as soon as your two feet were steadily placed. You knew that the boys would never willing ask for or take your money. You constantly tried to help them out, but their pride was too strong. So, you compromised, by supplying all the food and beer you could get them each time you got together.

You opened the cooler, passing a beer around to everyone.

"You guys get through?" you asked, passing the freshly opened bottle to John B. The hurricane Agatha had ripped through the OBX the night previous. Your stepfather already had maintenance workers clearing your yard when you left this morning.

"Yeah," John B replied, "Nothing major, just a tree fell but at least it wasn't on the house." He shrugged. You laughed at his nonchalant-ness as your cheers him and took a sip of your beer.

"We were fine, but I'm pretty sure my dad's gonna kill me for skipping out." Pope said, glaring at JJ and John B. JJ hugged Pope from behind.

"But you love us anyway, buddy!"

As you reach further into the marsh Pope had taken over steering as JJ stood at the bow, his second (or was it third?) beer in his hand.

"Can you go a little faster?" he asked Pope as he brought the bottle further into the air, letting the contents spill out the neck. You scoffed and moved out of the way as the sticky liquid landed on your arm.

"Here we go. I'm movin'." Pope said, pushing down the accelerator.

"It doesn't work JJ," John be said, crossing his arms and tilting his head back to get some sun.

"Yeah dude, not like you haven't already tried like 6000 times," you spoke with disgusting, now having moved to the back of the boat wiping your arm on your towel.

"I got this. It's gonna work!"

"You're getting beer in my hair!" Kie exclaimed, moving to stand next to you as you rolled your eyes.

"JJ," you were going to patronise him further, but you didn't get the chance as the boat came to a static halt. JJ went flying overboard, flipping through the air and into the water. You and Kie fell straight forward on top of one another.

"Jesus, Pope!" Kie groaned as you rolled off the top of her. Both of you stay laying on your backs trying to catch your breath.

"You okay, JJ?" John B asked, peering over the side of the boat.

"I think my heels touched the back of my head," you heard JJ's voice come from the water.

"Well it's shame, you're missing the girl on girl action up here." John B quipped as he helped you and Kie up.

"Oh, fuck off John B," you said as you shoved him. You could see JJ still floating on his back in the water.

"Damn," he sighed. He finally lifted his head to look at you. You stuck your tongue out at him and flipped him off as he began swimming back towards the boat.

"Pope, what did you do?" Kie asked.

"Sandbar. The channel changed." He replied.

"No shit," you replied dryly, sitting next to Kiara.