Chapter 1

Bright sunlight blinds me as I take one last look at the apartment building that had been my home for the last few years, before I climb into the backseat of the taxi.
"To the airport please", I tell the driver and he nodds while turning the car.
I lean my head against the window and watch as we drive a long the streets that I walked countless times.
We pass the old bookstore where me and my friends spent hours, just browsing through the small store.
Next to it is the bakery that sold the best bread in town, on some days people had to wait thirty minutes to buy it.
The homeless man with his old dog is sitting at his usual spot, across the street from the café.
He sells drawings that he sketched, I bought one of a dog because it reminded me of the one my grandma used to have when I was a child.
Everything in this town seems to be glowing today.
The golden sunlight is trying it's best to make me stay but my mind is already made up.
I love this town, I moved there for University, I learned to be on my own and independent.
But I know that at one point I had to leave again and start an adventure.
Change has always been hard for me but I know that in order to go far, I have to leap over my own shadow and leave the comfort I found in my home.
I snap out of my thoughts as the taxi stops in front of the airport.
The driver looks at me expectantly through the rear view mirror, waiting for me to pay him.
After I got out of the car he helps me with my suitcases and then quickly drives off while wishing me a good flight.
I take a deep breath, around me everyone is in a hurry and I feel stressed as soon as I step into the building.
My best friend Elise has already checked her suitcase in and is now waiting for me in front of the security check.
This is what her last text told me and I hurry to meet her.
As soon as I spot her blond hair I feel more at ease and I quickly run up to her.
"Elle"
She turns around as she hears me mention her name and she smiles widely, pulling me into a hug.
"Finally Vic", she chuckles as she starts walking towards the gate that marks the beginning of the security check in.
"How many bags did you have?", she asks me as we stand in line behind a couple and their two little girls.
"Three and this bagpack", I motion to my trusty, navy blue backpack that I had since I was 18.
"Still can't belive you are leaving me", she pouts and grabs my arm.
"Me neither Elise", I sigh as I push the bad thoughts to the back of my head.
"Thank you for coming with me", I add as she lets go of me again and moves forward.
"Of course, I have to make sure you don't get lost in London before you've even got the chance to find your flat", she laughs and I join in.
She is right, I am horrible with directions and I have a tendency of getting lost.
"You are up next", Elise reminds me and I quickly shuffle over to the security guard that tells me to take off my shoes, belt and jacket.
I place all of my things in the trays and quickly walk through the metal detector and gather my things again.
Elise is tying her shoe laces and we walk to the duty free shops that line the way to our gate.
I feel less stressed now and I get a little excited for the new chapter of my live.
We browse through some perfumes and look at magazines to pass the time before we head to our gate.
Boarding starts just as we arrive and we follow the other passengers on to the plane looking for our seats.
"You can sit at the window", I offer to Elise as we stand in front of our seats, I know how much she loves flying, she would spend half of the time just staring out of the window, dreaming about god knows what.
She smiles excitedly and flops down on the seat turning, trying to get comfortable in the small space, cursing as her knees hit the table on the seat in front of her.
"I am too tall for this", she angrily exclaims as I try to hold back a laugh.
Elise is tall but usually she doesn't complain about it too much, she does modeling jobs to pay for her expensive taste of clothing.
"I like my height", I laugh as I place my backpack under my seat and fasten the seatbelt.
She playfully glares at me and takes her headphones out handing me one of them.
When the plane takes off Elise grabs my hand and interlocks her fingers with mine.
"This is going to be amazing Vicky", she smiles and I can't help but mirror the excitement on my best friends face.
"I hope it will", I tell her and lean my head on her shoulder.
Off to a fresh start, ready for a new chapter.