but that's when the hornet stung me

anne and gilbert were exhausted from their week away in avonlea. it was their home and they couldn't be happier to be there but they also couldn't be happier to leave.

after rachel lynde knew, everyone in town was stopping by either green gables or gilbert's and bash's farm. it was intense for the two of them.

they were used to being the talk of the town, gilbert being the most sought after teenager and anne being the new girl who also doubled as an orphan, but that was years ago.

now three months later, they were still the talk of the town and still not quite used to it.

***

"ruby no!" diana yelled at ruby who wanted red roses for anne to hold.

"ruby yes!" she said as she abruptly entered the flower field, scoping out some samples for anne.

"ruby she has always said she wants pink roses for her wedding and her funeral, you know that" diana said remembering how whenever anne is in the depths of despair she mentions she wants pink roses on her grave.

"why not do red and pink together?" gilbert finally spoke up, surprising everyone.

gilbert had tried to help them prepare for the wedding numerous times but the girls had all vetoed his ideas before he got a chance to explain. but with anne currently in class, gilbert had a more say in the manner than anyone.

"why, i didn't think of that" ruby said before looking down more or less ashamed. ruby had given herself the honor of planning the majority of it all since anne was taking hard courses and she was taking lighter ones. she had kept anne and gilbert apart for almost three years and the thought still sickens her to this day. ruby just didn't want to let them down again.

"i'm sure you would have had you had more time to think about it" diana reassured.

gilbert looked at the two soon to be bridesmaids and smiled. he never thought that he would ever get along with the two of them when he was a kid- but now look at where they are.

he's currently walking across a flower field, a flower crown from before anne left, placed on his head. watching the two girls argue over flowers at his wedding.

"ruby, diana, i just- i wanna thank you both for being by annes side for all these years" gilbert stated all of the sudden, "you two seem to really care for her and you both helped her through a time where i couldn't. i can not thank you enough"

the two girls smiled softly at the man that stood before him, slightly giggling to themselves about his flower crown and how he's still wearing it even though anne had left.

"gilbert you have been there for anne too" diana said before adding, "but you're welcome"

"yes, you ought to give yourself more credit gilbert blythe" ruby stated matter of factly, "but now we trust that you will do the same for her as we did, from now and until the end"

there was faint blush that graced gilbert's cheeks. the girls thought he was embarrassed for saying what he did but he was quite the opposite, for an hour had passed and anne was running down the hill.

his bride to be...

"oh i hope you all weren't bored without me" she said while giving a hug to the two girls.

she then walked over to gil and said, "i assume you played nice while i was away"

he nodded before gently pecking her lips, "i didn't have to play"

the four of them continued their journey through the field and it couldn't have been more perfect.