and then the day began

it had been two days since gilbert john blythe had been admitted into the hospital and it had been the worst two days of anne cordelia shirley-cuthburts young life.

she wasn't quite sure how to approach the situation in front of her.

gilbert was alive and his body was healing but the longer he spent in the coma, the more likely he was not to wake up again.

anne kept holding on to the fact that gilbert had always been the strong one in their relationship, at least physically that was.

he had always been the one that chopped the wood for school and he had always been the first to volunteer to help rebuild a house or work the levers in a play.

he was strong.

that was the only thing that anne was clinging onto.

***

anne had awoken from her small nap by a gentle knock on the door, "come on in" she said still half asleep.

"anne?"

anne immediately recognized the voice but she didn't have the energy to respond back to the girl that once held a special place in her heart.

"anne, please look at me" diana said trying to get her bosom friend to see her, "i know that this is har-"

"if you knew it was so hard, why are you here making it harder?" anne said coldly, finally making eye contact with the ravened haired girl.

they both looked like a mess.

diana still had her frizzy hair and her red burning eyes. anne figured it was either from crying about gilbert or from crying about anne.

anne, on the other hand, looked much worse, her hair was failing out of the low bun she refused to redo, her clothes, stuck to her as those do after three straight days of wearing them, and her eyes were not only blood shot but also covered in broken blood vessels.

"i came here to bring you some fresh clothes to change into" anne nodded at that, still not truly wanting to apologize, "i also came here to apologize"

that one sentence sparked her interest.

"i'm sorry too" anne said softly before finally leaving gilbert's side and engulfing diana in a hug.

***

the days came and went and suddenly gilbert had been in a coma for over a week. it was terrifying anne to say the least.

anne also hadn't failed to notice her friends creating a buddy system to look after her. it would often go fred and diana, then cole and harry, then ruby and moody, and then finally bash and delphine.

everyone came cycling in, but anne never left. she didn't want to be gone if anything suddenly changed in his condition, good or bad.

but today was different, cole and harry never showed and so anne had about two hours to just her and gilbert.

she had decided to curl up next to him in his bed, but really caring how improper she looked or how the nurses would react. she just needed some sort of comfort from the one she missed most.

it was when she was half asleep that she felt the one thing she had been dying to feel, he squeezed his arms around her.

"annie?" he said weakly.

annes eyes had shot open, shivers running down her spine as she shot up from the bed to look at him properly.

"gil?" she said carefully while pinching herself to make sure she wasn't asleep

the two smiled at each other for a moment, just enjoying each other's company.

or at least that was until cole walked in.

"hey an- holy- i'll go get the doctor" cole said before sprinting out of the room