chapter...5

''Its not always just the heart. Sometimes the mind breaks as well''~r.h.Sin

"Ah Jane are you awake?" Stephan whispered and shook my shoulder gently. I rubbed my eyes and yawned stretching my tense arms.

"Hey I thought we could stop by the motel, I was getting kinda exhausted and the airport is still far away"Stephan said parking in front of the neon red lights that said Fallen Rose Motel.

"Yeah sure, I need to take a shower anyway"

We got out of the car and walked in silence towards the reception where we found a woman in her mid fifties with damaged red hair and heavy makeup. The parking lot was relatively empty except for some hookers that were across the street looking for customers.

"Welcome to Fallen Rose Motel, how can I help you?"her voice sounded like she smoked religiously. She never looked up at us from the moment we entered.

''We would like a room for the night please'' Said Stephan putting his hands in the back pockets.

"You'll take room 13, make sure to dispose of condoms accordingly for hygienic purposes" She typed on her desktop and handed Stephan the key. 

"Oh no we are not together like that" 

She looked up rolling her eyes. "And I'm America's next top model, just don't fuck around please"

We walked again in silence to our room. When he opened the door it wasn't as great as I had expected it to be. The room looked like the 90's stopped by to throw up in it. This room looked older than me and the lack of cleanliness made my skin crawl.

"I'll go get your bags"

I didn't get Stephan's motive to helping me. Was it really chivalrous or did he want something out of me? I mean I did at first trust him easily because he is a cop but now I'm not so sure. 

I sat on the bed contemplating my next move. The cops would probably be looking for Sebastian and I by Monday but it still wasn't safe, Theo was like a shadow. Stephan walked in with my bag pulling me from my thoughts.

"Thank you for doing all of this but I don't want to be a burden"I stood up and tried to grab my bag but he pulled my bag behind him dropping it so both his hands could hold my shoulders.

"You are not a burden to me Jane, I just sat with you for four hours watching you break down five times"He said it with a serious tone.

"This Theo person traumatised you and you are not in any place to be alone , Do you really think I'll let you go on your own?"

Tears blurred my eyes then I let them fall, allowing them to make a new salty path. Stephan held me close and I allowed myself to melt into his arms.He stroked my head and whispered sweet nothings. Was this really what my life had been reduced to.

Running away with a complete stranger and staying in a dingy motel. I lifted my head so my dull brown eyes could meet his bright green eyes that had gold specks at the centre 

I sniffled and pulled back ''I'll go take a shower'' 

''Sure, I should probably get some shut eye''

I nodded my head and walked to the bathroom with my bag. The bathroom wasn't so bad, It was just a little bit out dated but thankfully they had hot water.I let the water run all over my body hoping it would wash the shame that stuck to my skin. When I walked out Stephan was shirtless with his back towards me.I turned of the light and sat there staring into the dark void that reflected my life.

"Stephan are you awake?"

He turned so he could face me then he sat up so he could face me properly. 

"I tried to kill him" I whispered but I knew he heard me, he sat there silently watching me. The red light from the sign gave an ominous atmosphere to the small room.

"When I saw.....what he had done to my boyfriend, I just wanted to kill him but... I couldn't"I sighed and brought my legs closer to my chest.

"Listen to me Jane you were trying to protect yourself, okay stop letting him take over your life"

I looked at him and nodded my head slowly then placed it on his chest. He held me close and that's all I needed to feel protected. I slept peacefully in the strangers arms, all I know is that if I was going to survive this I couldn't do it on my own. I would run to New York and stay with my grandparents that was my best bet.

I woke up to a cold breeze that chilled into the room. Fear struck my heart when I saw the door wide open and an empty bed.

''Stephan?!'' I called out my voice sounded pathetic. 

Suddenly a voice laughed hauntingly into the air.

"Oh my Sweet Jo" the voice taunted me.

I turned my body slowly to  the chair sited in the dark corner of the room. There he was, my worst nightmare, his dark eyes sparkling with humour.

"Where is he Theo?" I whispered.

He leaned forward, his eyes dead filled with nothing. "He's on the floor and if you try and run out that door I will blow his brains right here" he said calmly and unfazed pointing a gun at Stephan.

I saw Stephan passed out on the floor, I was to scared to move but I knew I had no choice but to accept my fate.

"I will go with you as long as you promise not to hurt him." He stood up and sauntered towards me, sweat formed on my brow but I had to stay strong.

I felt a prick in my arm and saw that he had injected something into me.

"This is a little something that will make sure that you don't run and cause problems like before"He whispered into my hair.

"Sweet Jane please understand that I am trying to protect you, I don't know from what yet but our town kill us if they find out about the dark secrets we were born from especially you."

My eyes dropped and all I could do was pray that this was not the end.