Inquiry - [13] - The Tyrant

im trying to develop more depth with WWX but i feel like he's out of character. it's annoying meeeeeeeee
this book will be going on editing after it's finished just because it switches from present to past tense a lot lol

Turns out Wei Ying's arrival in the town doesn't go unnoticed. So when he wakes up, alone, the outside of the hotel he's staying in is packed to the brim with people trying to catch a glimpse of the infamous grandmaster of demonic cultivation.

And if Wei Ying's just the tiniest bit upset that he'd woken up alone, he doesn't show it and continues on with his day. There's a lot to do, people to talk to, and a wedding to crash.

Jiang Cheng is willing to help him, although he groans at the sight of him but still readily agrees. Lan Xichen is no where to be found, and Jiang Cheng looks a bit more stormy than usual when Wei Ying asks. 

The younglings are roaming around, forgetting about their purpose of coming into the city, and instead enjoying the sweets and sights Zi Hu has to offer. Wei Ying doesn't mind, it was never supposed to be their responsibility either way.

Wei Ying learns from the whispers in the village that Lan Zhan is to be married to the tyrant's daughter, and it takes everything in him for him not to laugh. Lan Zhan isn't even interested in women, let alone someone he just met.

"She's pretty," a girl in the village coos dreamily, hands wrapped around an apple. "I saw her once, alone, you know, without her bodyguard sitting behind her. She was standing on the balcony and she was so pretty."

"She's childish," A stable hand and a granny who sells cloths say. "That's why her father wants to marry her off so fast."

Wei Ying sighs, searching for Lan Wangji now would be useless and would most likely end up with him being tossed in jail. But for gods sake, Wei Wuxian's far more capable of taking care of himself than Lan Wangji thinks.

The wedding is planned for tomorrow, he learns. So Wei Ying has a little bit of time until they have to devise a plan to get into the castle without being spotted and having to use force. While Zi Hu is not as connected to the larger sects, Wei Ying doesn't really feel like being a criminal again.

They end off the afternoon walking around the stalls, he slings an arm around Jiang Cheng as they walk by the palace. It's so... secure, there's no windows they can easily scale, and the noticeable entrances are guarded.

And then he sees it.

At first the glare of the sun blinds him and like a blessing, the balcony is in appearance. He vaguely remembers the farmer girl reminiscing about the princess, tucked away in the castle but appearing on the balcony. If they can just get onto the balcony, then Wei Ying has a good chance getting into the palace in general.

"A-Cheng," he points.

Jiang Cheng follows his gaze until he sees it too, for a second he frowns in confusion until he realizes.

Jiang Cheng steers him away before anyone can notice him pointing, and they head back towards their hotel.

"We can't get you up on a sword, it won't hold you and I don't think your core is ready yet." Jiang Cheng mutters as they pass by the stables again. "But if Lan Huan, you, and I stack onto each other's shoulders than maybe we can get you up there."

Wei Ying hums before he grins. "When did you and Zewu-jun get so friendly?" He resists the urge to giggle when Jiang Cheng burns red. "The poor Lan clan, no heirs left!"

Jiang Cheng slaps him on the back of the head before he can dodge, muttering about impropriety and how shameless he is. And as they walk back, Wei Ying's arms crossed behind his head and the sun beating down on them, Wei Ying thinks that life is really better this way.

notes:

hi guys, it's been almost a year. shit has been rocky, and i have not updated since school started lmfao. i have moved on from fandoms pretty fast, im doing Haikyuu fanfics now and if y'all are interested, i will eventually post them on both ao3 and wattpad.

sorry for not updating in so long, it's kind of inexcusable at this point but i hope everyone has a good day.