Inquiry - [2] - Hush

"Lan Zhan?" Wei Wuxian asks, calling into the darkness. From the lack of light, he'd only been sleeping for three hours at most. He'd barely stripped and changed into a suitable nightgown before he passed out. After all, he and Lan Zhan didn't always have the luxury to find a hotel.

No answer.

Wei Wuxian lazily opens an eye, and as a figure nears he knows it's Lan Zhan. After being together for a year, he was already familiar with the other man's body. Very, familiar.

"Ah, Lan Zhan. I've missed you, did you miss me?" Wei Wuxian coos, arms leaving the warm covers and reaching up to bring his husband closer to him.

"Mn," comes the reply. 

Lan Zhan reaches behind, removing Wei Wuxian's arms from around his neck so he could strip his garments and crawl into the bed sheets with his lover who shivers at the cold contact.

"What took you so long?" Wei Wuxian whined, Lan Zhan didn't respond, pulling him in and nuzzling into his neck.

"I love you." He mutters, and Wei Wuxian blinks sleepily, not used to such blatant affection from the normally aloof Hanguang-Jun but decided he's too tired to think about it before settling in his embrace and murmuring into the other's chest.

"I love you too."

***
Blood.

There was so much blood.

Yanli's white dress stained with red blood was a stark contrast, and somehow he didn't believe it. Wei Wuxian closed his eyes, but when he opened them he was surrounded by people.

And there was Yanli, his Yanli. In red, standing at the altar with Jin Zixuan standing next to her, he ignored the other's presence but Yanli was radiant.

He had never seen this scene before, he didn't attend the wedding. It was all just a figment of his imagination but Wei Wuxian couldn't let go.

Jiang Cheng appeared at his side, stoic yet firm as always, though his eyes swelled with emotion.

Wei Wuxian stared at him, momentarily distracted by his sworn brother. He wanted to reach out, to say something. But even in his dream, he pulled back

He gazed back at his shijie, wedded union, he thought. What a lovely thing.

***
Wei Wuxian jolts awake, covered in cold sweat.

"Wangji?" He calls into the darkness, he'd been asleep for quite some time now and the sun had begun peeking above the mountains. "Lan Zhan!" He calls again.

No reply.

Wei Wuxian frowns, slipping out from under the covers. "Lan Wangji, ah Lan Wangji," he complained, "It's so cold and you're not with me, what will I do?"

He opens the door, cold wind whispering into his ear, making him shiver.

"Lan Zhan?"

A figure in the distance turns at the call of his name, Wei Wuxian walks towards the figure and practically crawls into the other's lap. Ever since his reincarnation, so to say, he'd been able to fit into Lan Wangji's arms perfectly. As if he was a missing puzzle piece to the other.

"Do you love me?" Wei Wuxian asks, pouting his lips. Lan Zhan looked at him, leaning down to kiss him on the lips.

"Mn."

"Then don't leave me alone like that! You scared me," Wei Wuxian says in pretense hurt, pushing down the memory of the worry he had felt earlier deep in his gut.

Lan Zhan doesn't reply, something Wei Wuxian is used to. Instead, he nuzzles his face into the other's neck, bathing in his lover's presence. Wei Wuxian smiles, leaning into Lan Zhan's neck as well and breathing in the sandalwood scent he was so familiar with.