Inquiry - [11] - Fall In Love For The Night

It wasn't until they had successfully snuck into a hotel, did Wei Wuxian realize that Lan Zhan had no intention to back out from the marriage. Then came the bitter taste of vinegar, undeniable anger stemming from Wei Wuxian's heart.

"Lan Zhan," Wei Wuxian started, watching the other man pause in his actions. "You're not going to go through with this, are you?"

The silence answered for him, and Wei Wuxian couldn't deny the anguish that came with the quiet. It sat at the bottom of his stomach and Wei Wuxian felt weighed down.

Lan Wangji turned while Wei Wuxian stared at his feet. They'd shared sleepless nights, secrets that only lovers knew, and grief that only family could understand. They'd never fought before, he didn't want this to be their first and last time.

"You're crying."

Wei Wuxian flinched at the statement. He hadn't even noticed, the tears streaming down silently. His chest constricted uncomfortably when Lan Wangji sat down next to him, he grabbed his hand, pulling the other in closer. Wei Wuxian leaned into the touch, shoving his face into Lan Wangji's chest. They stayed like that for a while, the occasional sob disrupting the silence.

"I was scared," confessed Wei Wuxian, his voice muffled by Lan Wangji's chest. Lan Wangji stiffened, resting his chin against Wei Wuxian's head. "I was so scared when you left. But I was angry, I was so angry at you. But then I thought, was this how you felt those long thirteen years when I disappeared?"

Wei Wuxian was no longer a child, neither was he a man. He'd experienced childish foolishness, but he'd also experienced the harsh reality of the world. Lan Wangji sighed, pulling him closer as if he was embracing a child.

"Wei Ying." Lan Wangji's voice is soft. "Your safety is at risk, if I turn my head for a minute and something happens to you. It will be like those thirteen years all over again."

It'd been the most Wei Wuxian had heard him speak in a while. A tight rope in his stomach warned him of the anger he felt at his statement but it was true. He was not as strong as he used to be, he didn't doubt for a moment that Wen Ning would come running if he called him but Wen Ning had forged his own life. He could not take that away from him, would not, he owed Wen Ning that much, and Wen Qing.

The coil of anger in his stomach only tightened as he thought about the female doctor. Intelligent, quick, and fiery, she hadn't deserved what had happened. Wei Wuxian could only hope that it wouldn't ever happen to anyone he cared about again. But if he died, who would take care of Lan Wangji? He'd seen the scars on Lan Wangji's back and the callouses on his hands in their more intimate moments. Wei Wuxian loathed the idea of Lan Wangji enduring more of those lashes.

"Will you just stay with me?" Wei Wuxian begged, desperate.

Lan Wangji paused, contemplating. But when looked down and met Wei Wuxian's pleasing eyes any rational thought left in his mind dissolved and he pushed the younger into the bed.

"Just for tonight," hummed Lan Wangji.

"We'll see," Wei Wuxian laughed, pushing himself up on his elbows to bump noses with him. "Lan Wangji, ah Lan Wangji, what am I going to do with you."