Inquiry - [4] - Stuck Together, Forever?

Wei Ying had no idea how he got himself stuck in this situation, sitting awkwardly over a cup of tea while Lan Xichen stared at the two of them, eyes criticizing. His brother is strangely silent and strangely red, but when he made eye contact with the older man, he looked away too quickly. Nevermind, Lan Zhan might be clueless, but Wei Ying has spent too many years with his brother not to know how behaved when he's attracted to someone.

"What the fuck are you looking at me for?" Jiang Cheng's voice is harsh like always, and Wei Ying smiled cheekily, he'd been staring at the younger man for too long and now he'd been caught red handed.

"Not you." He retorted, sticking out his tongue in a childish manner that he swore he hadn't done since he was 12. Jiang Cheng frowned, as if just realizing they were in the Cloud Recesses and in front of the sect leader while acting like children. Wei Ying just shrugged, focusing back on the topic at hand. He'd been trying to forget about the cold stone in the bottom of his stomach, and he'd almost been distracted, but now as he thinks more about Lan Zhan all that fills his mind was endless swirls of fear and worry.

As if on cue, Lan Xichen nearly slammed his porcelain teacup onto the surface of the wooden table and Wei Ying's eyes widen in shock. Lan Xichen sighed as hot tea spills over the edges of the cup as if it's a minor inconvenience but a major annoyance.

"Our Uncle has not been very fond of you, Wei Gong Zi," Lan Xichen stated, Wei Ying nodded, already aware of the fact that the old man was not fond of him.

"But when the council decided to pair up Wangji with the daughter of a different sect, Uncle was the first to step up and protest against the match," Lan Xichen continued, golden eyes surveying Wei Ying as if he could read his thoughts if he stared hard enough, by now Wei Ying has no idea if it's true. "He wants Wangji to be happy, even if it is with you. No offense, but you make Wangji happy and I could not wish for more."

Wei Ying let out a sigh of relief he didn't even know he had been holding, he honestly couldn't care less what others thought about him or his relationship with Hanguang-jun, but Lan Zhan did care and Wei Ying would be dammed if he let his lover be criticized.

"However, the other clan is an influential clan. It isn't as big as any of the five clans, but there is a high ranking cultivator in their midst. Perhaps not as strong as Wangji, but your safety was threatened and my brother knows that even if he tries to protect you. One day, if he is not careful, you will be taken away from him. Wangji has always liked to bear the burden by himself. I am certain he is going to go through with marriage."

Xichen's tone is melancholic, like a voice in a quiet room, it seems to echo in Wei Ying's head.

"So, what're we gonna do?" Jiang Cheng asked, and it's like a moment of clarity in Wei Ying's cluttered mind and he bolted up. Ignoring the tea that spilled and the explicit curses from his younger brother.

"We're going to crash that wedding!"