Inquiry - [1] - The Cloud Recesses

"Hey! Lan Zhan!" Wei Wuxian calls hanging upside down from a tree branch. He grins mischievously when the other turns to look at him, "Look! The Cloud Recesses." 

Lan Zhan turned to look where the other was pointing, and to his surprise, the Cloud Recesses was truly there. On second thought, the path and woods leading to the Cloud Recesses had seemed familiar, but Lan Zhan had been so deep in thought he hadn't noticed.

"Why don't we pay a visit to your brother and Uncle," Wei Wuxian cries almost too cheerfully, pulling Little Apple towards the buildings before the other could refuse. The donkey stubbornly resits but eventually lets himself be tempted by the apple the other hangs in front of him.

"A little apple eating another apple, isn't this cannibalism?" He teases the donkey who snorts as if to tell him to shut up. 

Lan Wangji has no choice but to follow.

By the time the two arrive at the Cloud Recesses, Lan Xichen and Lan Sizhui are waiting for them by the warded entrance. Apparently they'd seen them coming ahead of time and Sizhui wanted to greet the two at the door.

"Wei Gong Zi," Sizhui greets bowing in respect, Lan Xichen at his side doing the same. "What are you and Hanguang-Jun doing back at the Cloud Recesses, if Master finds out..."

"I have already found out," a voice from behind them says.

Wei Wuxian sighs, cursing softly, the whole Lan Clan has a habit of knowing when and where he was at all times.

"No swearing in the Cloud Recesses," Wangji scolds adoringly, turning to look at his husband who sticks his lips into a pout of pretense hurt. 

"Yes Er-Gege," Wei Wuxian mutters sarcastically, but if the other hears, he makes no effort to scold him. 

"Lan Zhan," Lan Qiren calls, tone harsh. "I need to speak with you."

Lan Zhan nods, and motions for Wei Wuxian to follow his brother and Sizhui before following his uncle without hesitation.

"And you, Wei Wuxian, do not cause trouble in Cloud Recesses. Or else, I will make Lan Zhan himself punish you!"

Wei Wuxian grins, folding his arms behind his head and shrugging. "My back and legs are already so sore from Hanguang-Jun, give me a break!" Lan Qiren's face complexion turns red with rage, but surprisingly he just turns and stalks off with Lan Zhan who shoots Wei Wuxian a warning glare before following after his Uncle. 

Lan Xichen sighs, smiling warmly and gesturing for Wei Wuxian to follow him to where they'd be staying.

"Wei Gong Zi, aren't you scared Master will scold you and make you transcribe the Lan Clan rules again?" Sizhui asks teasingly, as they stroll along the path.

Wei Wuxian chuckls, "Of course not! Who would have the time to make sure I finish transcribing? Who would intimidate me enough to make me even start, nobody! Except Hanguang-Jun of course. But Lan Qiren doesn't want me to get any closer to that nephew of his. He still thinks I'm playing some kind of trick."

Sizhui sighed, while Lan Xichen chuckles softly, the smile never leaving his face though his laugh is melancholic; as if it was reminiscent to something, or someone. Wei Wuxian pushes down the urge to ask about the late Lanling Jin leader who'd stabbed the other man in the back.

If Lang Wangji is too naive and innocent to see it, Wei Wuxian definitely is not. From the way the Lan Clan leader had hesitated to slit the other's throat and attempted so many times to prevent his death, anyone could have seen that the first jade of the Lan clan had cared far too much about the man who would do anything for power. Lan Xichen's voice pulls him out of his thoughts, however, as he stops in front of a door. 

"Wei Gong Zi, you will be staying here along with Lan Zhan. This is the room farthest away from all the disciples, and Uncle's room. Please, do not engage in any activities with your window open, lest you scare someone awake." Lan Xichen explains, mirth shining in his golden eyes, and the tips of Wei Ying's ears heat up.

"Goodbye, Wei Gong Zi," Sizhui says both him and Xichen bowing once again, Wei Wuxian bows in return. 

"Bye-bye," Wei Wuxian calls as the two walk away in the distance, resisting the urge to follow them around and potentially anger Lan Qiren.

It's times like these he misses Lotus Pier the most, the place he'd never be able to return too without seeing flashes of his past he wishes could become reality. But not everyone gets what they want.