Chapter 14

Princeton

I held her tightly and rubbed her head, as we both cried. I can't take loosing her. I won't take loosing her. 

"Oh god yes," Birkhoff said, wiping fake sweat from his forehead. "She's up." "Taylor," Demi said walking to us and kneeling beside the couch. Pushing the hair out of Taylor's face, she sighed. "Are you okay? How do you feel?" She asked, quietly. Taylor silenced for a while before slowly sitting up in my lap and starring at us. "Amanda..." She coughed. "She... She killed my family..." She choked out before looking as if she was going to throw up. I held her as her body became unballanced. "What's happening?" Demi asked, standing up and looking at Birkhoff. "Nothing, she's just weak from the drugs in the toxin," He explains. She nods. "She k-k-killed my family... Division killed my family..." She whispered as tears rolled down her cheeks. "Prince... They-They killed them." She said, looking into my eyes. I felt like raging out and crying at the same time. Having her go through this just... Tore me to bits. Suddenly, making me nearly flinch, she bursts into tears. Covering her eyes with her hands, she just... broke down. Crying loudly she mumbled different names, probably her siblings. I attempted to let her cry into my chest, but as I began to lean in, I noticed her skin was getting paler... and paler. It seemed as if she was dying right in front of me. "Birkhoff," I asked in a delicate voice. Hoping not to worry Taylor. "Yes?" "We need that antidote, now." Not even bothering to ask what was happening. She just needs to get better. Fast. "There's no way I can-" "Yes there is. You have too." Taylor looked up from her hands and into my eyes. Her big brown eyes were curious and hopeful. "There's an antidote?" Birkhoff got up and held his hand out. "No, I can't." Her head darted around in anger, "What do you mean you can't?! I'm going to die!" She screamed at him. "Taylor, don't get mad. If you-" "Don't tell me what to do!" She said, rising from my lap and inching towrds him. "Taylor, please. Just come here, we're gona get the an-" I say but her demented, frantic voice ignored mine.

"BIRKHOFF-" "Taylor your gona-" Birkhoff yelled grabbing her shoulders but her body suddenly was lifeless again. Her head drooped down and the rest of her body fell with it. Just like when she was chained. I sprung up. "WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU DO!" I growl. Ready to bash my fist into his face. "I tried to tell her! If she cried it'll wake her up. But getting angry will make her mind shut down. Causing her fall back into a subconscious state, like she was originally... She wouldn't listen to me," He snapped. I sighed and picked her up. "You could've told us before that happened? Huh?" I asked, bringing her back to the couch and laying her down. "You guys are done arguing, we just need this antidote and everything'll be fine." Demi says walking in between us. "I-" He said, but before he could even open his mouth to speak his next word, Demi had a gun at his head. "I'm not playing. Sit down. Get typing. And order that antidote. Chip into the Division funds if you have to," She says her voice forceful. Birkhoff stiffened. It seemed sweat appeared out of nowhere and he began shaking. "Percy'll find out as soon as that happens, he'll have recruits bashing this door down in minutes. You don't understand, the whole building will discontinue their present task and proceed to a new one... Me."

I sigh and look back at Taylor. "Birkhoff, you have to do this... Do you want her to die?" I ask, turning back around. He immediately shook his head. "Hell no, she's hot," He says. I narrow my eyes at him before rolling them. "This isn't funny." Demi says, pushing the gun against his temple. He stayed quiet. For about five minutes... We all stood there. I was beginning to think I'd never get an answer from him. I was beginning to freak out, when he slowly opened his mouth and nervously ran his hand through his long greasy hair. "Okay." My eyes widened. "Is that a-" "Yes... That's a yes. I'll do it."

I felt like crying again, but I couldn't. I've cried too much. Over one girl. One amazing girl. One beautiful girl. My first and only love. She'd survive... She'd survive.

"But, please stop thinking about her. It's giving me a headache," Birkhoff said annoyingly before sitting back in his black computer chair.

"Sorry..." I mumble. But as I tried not to think about her, I wondered... "Wait, your a reader?" Me and Demi asked in sync, looking at each other confusedly before back looking at Birhoff. "Yep."

 *                                                                                                      *

I sat there. Awkwardly. Starring at my shoes, I began to think about Taylor again, earning a sigh from Birkhoff in the process. But I didn't care. I couldn't help it. The wait was killing me. I love her too much to loose her. The worst part is... I just got her.

I surprisingly broke into a smile as I thought about our kiss. Her soft lips against mine felt centuries away. And Amanda did that. She took away her from me, someone I instantly loved. Someone I care about so much... I'd probably die for.

Thinking about Taylor was what kept me from blacking out and raging throughout the whole Division. My head shot up the second I hear a final sigh from Birhoff. Me and Demi both starred at him. Waiting for any type of response. "I," He gulped. "I did it."

I stared at air for what seemed like hours before Demi shook me and ran to Taylor. "You guys should get out of here," Birkhoff said quietly through all the screaming noises Demi was making. I looked at him once before walking to the couch and picking up Taylor. "Come on," I said walking to the automatic door as it slid open. He watched me in confusion. "Huh?" "I'm not leaving you here to get slaughtered by recruits. Come on. Hurry," I said as the noise of what sounded like sirens progressed throughout the building. Looking down at Taylor in my arms, I ran as fast as I could, with Demi and Birhoff behind me.

Demi

By the amount of time we'd been running through Division's hallways I could tell we were almost at the front doors. I was about to jump for joy. All until about five guards cut us off. "Where are you three going?" One of them asked, his voice was deep and mono tone. "Uh- I- um-" I managed to stupidly choke out. "This girl fainted from the alarms. She thought we were being attacked. I have to get her some help," Birkhoff said in a steady voice. They stared at us for a second before nodding and letting us through. Prince sighed in relief as we began to run again. "Oh and," I heard a guard say. I nervously stopped, not turning around, I listened. "I hope she's okay," He said. I turned around and managed a smile. "Me too." I said before catching up with Prince and Birk.

"Okay," Prince said finally. "Which way do we go Birkhoff?" Birhoff toppled over, keeping himself up by placing his hands on his knees as he panted. "That... Way... I... Think..." He said, all in between short breaths. We began to run in the direction he told us.

"Finally," Prince panted, pushing the door only for it not to even budge. "What the fuck?" I ask, turning to Birkhoff. "The doors must have locked from the alarms... I didn't know," He said, raising his hands in surrender. "What do you mean you didn't know? Birkhoff, I swear-" "Prince. Look," I say, pointing to just above the door, a window. "How are we gona get up there?" He asks obnoxiously. I turn around looking for something to stand on, when I see a garbage can. I run and get it. Turning it over I step on it and hop out. They were looking dumbly up at the window as I waved for them to look outside. I roll my eyes and banged on the door. "PRINCE THROW HER TO ME," I say, cupping my mouth so my voice would project. He nodded and stepped on the garbage can. Propping his head out he looked at me. "Are you sure you can catch her, Demi, if she falls..." He said trailing off. I nodded. "Prince, I care about her just as much as you do. I'm not dropping her." I say reaching my palms out as Taylor's body was held out the window. Her long slim legs dangled and swayed in the winter air. "Ready?" He asked. "Yeah. Do it."