Chapter 4

Taylor

"Okay, everybody return to what you were doing previously," The instructor announces, uneasily. "Taylor Montgomary, to division head quarters. Taylor Montgomary, to division head quarters," A women states over the loud speaker. I slowly look over at Princeton. "Uh... Be right back... I guess..." I speak nervously as I get up. "Wait," He says, softly grabbing my hand. "When the time comes, don't get up," He says quietly. I cock my head to the side in confusion, before quickly leaving through the white automatic doors of the gymnasium.

I walk down the hall. Hearing only the sound of my white sneakers hit against the squeaky clean floor boards. I follow the directions embedded on the wall. Division head quarters: Make left, then continue straight. I turn down a hall as the paint slowly turns black and two luminesent doors open. I walk in, the doors shutting quickly behind me. "Hello Taylor. I understand your a new comer?" A lady asks, probably in her late forties. "Sure," I say, looking around curiously at all the systems, and gadgets installed on the walls, glowing in several different colors. Radiance seemed to seep from  every aspect of the room we were in. "Third day? Am I right?" She asks. I nod. "My name is Amanda, I'm your... as you would say... guidance counselor, I decide what rate and status your in, in order for you to take on a mission," She states as I follow her down a hall and  into a bright mahogany colored room.

She motions for me to take a seat on a single chair in front of her. She locks the door and picks up a clip board. She sits down directly in front of me. This room had a weird aura. Like really bad things have happened in here. Also, it was almost completely empty; besides the chairs we were sitting in. "So, tell me about yourself, Taylor. What's your family like?" She asks.  "They're dead." I say coldly. She grins. Is that... funny to her? "Why the fuck are you grinning?" I ask getting up but the chair shocks me, making me sit, almost immediately. Now I know what Prince was talking about... "Oh and, when I am talking to you, you don't get up until I'm done. The chair you are sitting on can heat up to more than a 1000 degree temperature, this is more than enough voltage to fry your cute little brain." She states calmly. I glare at her. Why couldn't have Prince been more specific about the situation? "I happen to have a 4.0 grade point average," I sit back folding my arms. "I'm probably smarter than you, dear," I smirk. "Well, that's why your here. You are as smart as you say. We checked the stats of all of our recruits, you've seemed to have topped them all. That is why you are here so suddenly Ms.Montgomary," She says getting up, pacing in front of me. "We have a mission... A mission no recruit has ever accomplished. We think you'll be fit for the job," She says. "No," I reply stubbornly. "I had a feeling you'd say that," She says taking a remote from behind her and pressing a green button. I look at her as metal handcuffs strap me to the chair. "This decision essentially means life or death Ms.Montgomary. Are you sure?" She asks coldly, tapping the remote in her hands. My eyes widened as I realized her intentions. "NO!" I scream, shaking and kicking.

I let out a ear-piercing scream as the veins on my wrists and neck rise and my body tenses. I start panting and my eyes bulk out. The sting from the chair soon decreases but my screams continue. My face was now moist from sweat and my hair was damply hanging in my face. My head droops forward. My breathing slows down and steadies.

Did I just... survive the electrocution? I pull and pull and pull until the steel handcuffs brake at my wrists. She presses a green button on the remote before backing away from me. "SHE'S LOOSE!" She screams into a walkie talkie as I run through the doors and down the hall. I skid across the floor looking for the way to the gym. I turn around as I see guards chasing after me. "Shit." I turn back around running as fast as I can down the hall. I trip and slid across the floor into the gymnasium. Quickly getting up I run to the bench I was sitting at. "PRINCETON!" I scream at the top of my lungs as I hop over the bench and hug him. "Sh-She tr-tr-tried t-to kill me," I breathe into his chest as he hugs me back. "What? Taylor what happened?" He asks worriedly. The white double doors open as three guards walk in with Amanda on their tail. "There she is," She says pointing to me. I let go of Princeton, telling him to stay there and run to the other side.