t h i r t e e n

tonight was going to be my last night staying at nat's.

mattia had decided to go home but he said he'd meet us on sunday morning.

natalia and i brushed our teeth and got ready for bed, my mind occupied with one thought the entire time.

as we got into bed, i checked my phone for one last time. my phone's display lit up, showcasing an imessage notification at the top of the screen.

mattia
goodnight baby. see you tomorrow.

i smiled and quickly tapped out a response;

mhm, sweet dreams:)

with the swoosh sound confirming my message had been sent, i switched off my phone and placed it on the bedside table, remembering my situation with natalia.

a short while had passed, but i could sense that nat was still awake.

'can't sleep?' i whispered.

'yeah, you?' she said turning to face me.

'same, just thinking about a lot of shit.' i said.

'talk to me.' she said, genuine concern in her eyes.

it's now or never, y/n

'i can trust you, right?' i mumbled.

'i'm surprised that you're even questioning that, y/n.' she chuckled, a slightly offended undertone coming through in her voice.

i nodded slowly, of course i could trust her. me and nat had been best friends for as long as i could remember.

'the thing is...' i began getting choked up, 'me and mattia.. well we're together now.'

natalia's hands flew over her mouth.

'and we kissed.' i added.

she tightened her grasp around her mouth.

a few moments passed and i watched her reaction closely, a sense of regret immediately pumping through my veins.

'y/n, you guys could go to jail.' she whisper-shouted.

'not if nobody finds out.' i said firmly.

the room was dark, but i could still feel her pupils piercing into my soul.

'nat, you said i could trust you.' i said, desperately.

'look, i won't tell anyone, fine. we can talk more in the morning.'

she turned her back to me, leaving me feeling empty.

'i hope you know how much danger you're putting me in.' she muttered under her breath.

i was taken aback, i didn't know how she was going to react but this was the last thing i expected.

i felt hurt.

my face went cold, and i decided to just shut my eyes and sleep.

———————————————

when i woke up i looked beside me and saw that natalia wasn't there.

after i washed my face, brushed my teeth and got ready, i went downstairs and saw her eating a bowl of cereal, the news playing on a small tv on the kitchen counter.

i made my own breakfast and sat next to her.

she broke the silence.

'i'm sorry about how i reacted last night, i was tired and emotional and- well i'm sorry. i'm glad you trusted me and i've got your back always.'

'thank you so much.' i embraced her in a hug.

'where's mom.' i said.

'oh she's still in bed, she's tired.' nat replied.

on today's news: the search for the jersey criminals continues. yesterday's surveillance footage confirms that a male and a female were holding hands and being affectionate whilst walking the streets of new jersey at around 8pm on saturday.

the sound of the television interrupted.

the tip line on screen and online can be used to report any information regarding the offenders in the footage, with rewards of up to $150,000 for helpful info.

natalia and i quickly faced the screen, the sight causing my heart to plunge immediately.