Chapter VI- The Road to Helm's Deep

Chapter VI- The Ride to Helm's Deep

The journey from Edoras to Helm's Deep was no more than sixty miles away. What what would've been a one-hour trip by car, would take an average of thirty hours at a moderate pace. But the company of Edoras and the Fellowship were not making a moderate pace, in fact, with the elderly and small children in tow, they were crawling along slowly.

"We crossed more than half of this distance pursuing the Uruk-Hai from Amon Hen than it will take us to reach Helm's Deep," Boromir grumbled from behind Autumn. He was upset by King Théoden's stubbornness as well. He stood by his belief that a good leader does not turn and run away from danger, but he also despised the fact that King had disregarded Autumn's warnings.

The Fellowship knew of Autumn's knowledge of Middle Earth, and although it was a little challenging to grasp at the beginning, they all trusted her. But Théoden and the others in Rohan didn't know the woman as they did. They didn't understand her gift, and with what Gríma and Saruman had whispered to the people in Edoras, they presumed her a witch. Gandalf had vouched for her, but considering how Autumn had spoken to the King and attempted to kill the Kong's adviser, it didn't look good for her.

"We are heading for a trap," Autumn admitted softly. There was a hint of anger in her voice and slight annoyance at the fact that he didn't heed her warning.

"That is what you said," Boromir responded hesitantly. "Is there anything you can say to him? To warn him?"

"I've already tried to warn him, but he won't listen to me. I can only hope that he will eventually see what I mean."

"Eventually?" Boromir arched his eyebrows. "So, we are to see more violence before Théoden listens?"

Autumn closed her eyes, seeing flashes of thunderstorms, floods of enemies attacking the walls of Helm's Deep, and the scattered bodies of men and Elves in muddied pools of blood. "Yes," she admitted. "There will be a lot of violence, but there is hope."

"Hope?" Boromir asked.

"Yes," she responded, looking over her shoulder to see the Gondorian who held her heart. "There is always hope, Boromir. You have given me hope."

Boromir beamed, leaning down to press his lips to her head. "My brother, Faramir, has always said something similar to that. He's always been the optimist, soft-hearted like our mother. Despite all the hardships that come upon Gondor and the White City, he always says, 'I do not believe this darkness will endure.' It's such a simple thing, this hope he has, but you, Autumn. You have given me this hope that I have never before had. I am honored to be at your side, my love."

Autumn's heart fluttered softly at his words. "My love?" She asked breathlessly.

Boromir smiler, squeezing her softly. "Does that frighten you?"

"Far from it, love," she replied, leaning back into his arms. She found that she fit so perfectly against his chest, and she was beyond blessed and honored to find herself in this position.

"I was so worried about you," he murmured, his beard tickling her ear as he spoke. "When we realized you had been stolen away with the Hobbits-," but she cut him off.

"I am no longer stolen away. I am here. I am beside you. I'm not going anywhere. My place is here, beside you, and our friends," she gestured to Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas. "I'm here."

'Are you here to stay?' The soft voice of Melkor whispered to Autumn. 'What happens when your time here is over? After your quest is completed, will the Valar allow you to stay, or will they send you back to your world?'