Chapter 14: Saving Boromir

The Uruk-Hai masses were flowing down the hill like ants pouring out of a hill and charging toward Autumn and her friends. The woman had positioned herself to the front of the hill, knowing full-well that the hulking Lurtz would come from that direction, and it was her duty to protect the Son of Gondor. Already, her arms were sore from swinging her heavy broadsword from side-to-side, cutting down the enemies when they came near. Beside her, the Halflings clutched their Noldorin blades, slashing at any enemy that came too close-- even managing to kill a few who made it past their guardians.

Boromir had easily killed twenty-five of the hulking beasts, and Autumn was doing her best to keep up with him. Steadily, they pushed the Uruk-Hai back, but their numbers kept increasing. It seemed that the creatures from Mordor were the Hydra from Greek mythology: for every one cut down, two more would take its place. In fact, Autumn feared that they might be fighting a losing battle.

"There's too many of them!" Autumn yelled to the Gondorian. "We must retreat-- put a little distance between them and us!" She dodged to the right, avoiding the swiping motion of a black blade before it struck her. After catching her footing, she spun forward, plunging her own into the neck of an advancing Uruk.

Boromir brought the Horn of Gondor to his lips again, bellowing out the same eerie tune. "We must defend the Hobbits no matter the cost!" he protested, but for each enemy he killed, another was there to attack him again. "Go!" Boromir ordered Autumn with a frantic look in his eye. "Run!" he threw himself into the path of the charging Urks, urging her to retreat.

"No!" Autumn screamed, she was appalled that he would even suggest something so cowardly. She threw herself forward, taking another Uruk out with her blade. "I'm not leaving without you! I'm here to save you! That's the whole reason I'm here!" her words were labored and choppy as she continued to scan the treeline for Lurtz.

Merry and Pippin were behind the couple, pitching large stones at the cruel-bred Orcs, smashing them between the eyes and slowing them down long enough for either Boromir or Autumn to finish them off. They were wide-eyed and frenzied, doing their best to keep up with what was going on around them.

I wish I were home, Merry thought, as he hurled a stone at an advancing Orc. He hit the creature square in the mouth, sending it stumbling back several paces where Boromir was able to impale it with his own sword. We Brandybucks are not meant for this.

Pippin, however, found himself in a completely different mindset. He was the reason the Uruk-Hai had followed him and Merry. It was his fault that Boromir and Autumn were fighting to save them. After all, he'd tried to persuade Frodo to come and hide with him, and by doing so, caught the enemy's attention. Fool of a Took, Gandalf had always said. Maybe I am a fool.

Autumn felt as if her heart had jumped to her throat when she caught sight of a bow-wielding Uruk sauntering down the hill. He had strange, red markings on his face and wore his dark hair back in a ponytail. In his hand, he carried a crude, gnarled bow, and a curved blade over his shoulder.  As Lurtz approached, he notched a crooked arrow to his bow and aimed at the Gondorian.

Now, my darling! The Healer's voice rang in Autumn's ears.

"Boromir!" Autumn cried. Her body moved on its own, throwing itself forward and into the arrow's path. The arrow, having been fired at the man's shoulder, caught her in the side. The missile just sliced through the skin on her ribs, cutting through part of her worn, leather jacket. The wound was shallow but still left a tingling pain behind. 

Autumn let out a small gasp of surprise as Boromir turned to see what had happened. Just as the Gondorian was distracted, Lurtz notched a second arrow and aimed at the man's chest. "No!" Autumn screamed, once more. She threw her arm out, just managing to push Boromir aside once more as she braced herself for the second arrow's impact.