Chapter 8: Fool of a Took

Chapter 8- Fool of a Took

Hours had crawled slowly by, and still the Fellowship lingered in front of the passages. A crackling fire had been prepared by Autumn and Boromir, and the two sat close to each other warming their hands in the warmth of the flame. Aragorn was near, reclining against a toppled pillar, his pipe between his lips and the strong scent of smoke upon his garment.

Gandalf, nearly mad with frustration and anger, rested atop a boulder between the three doorways. He was whispering something to himself and grumbling about in different phrases and words that no one seemed to know.

Frodo sat a little ways away from the rest of the group. He was thoughtful and distant, staring down into the cavern bellow. Suddenly a look of terror crossed his face and he stumbled to his feet and hurried to the Grey Wizard's side. "There's something down there!" he said quickly.

Autumn's ears perked up at the commotion. She felt her stomach tie into a knot and a feeling of impending anxiety crossed her mind. Not him, she pleaded to the Valar. Not Sméagol.

"It's Gollum," Gandalf replied quietly.

"Gollum?" Frodo whispered back.

"Yes, he's been following us for three days."

Autumn peered out down the steep sides of the cavern, hoping to catch a glimpse of the creature. It would be better to see it than to have him sneak up on her and throttle her in her sleep. She furrowed her brow, straining hard to see amongst the doom and gloom below.

Autumn thought for a moment that she spotted the faint glow of a pair of eyes, but she couldn't be sure. It scared her more than anything- especially when she considered the fact that the Balrog was somewhere further underground.

"Autumn?"

She jumped, turning to see who had spoken. "Are you alright?" Aragorn asked, removing the neck of his pipe from between his lips. "You look as if you've seen a ghost."

"I'm not sure I haven't," she smiled weakly. "I suppose I'm just ready to get out of these Mines. Something isn't right..."

"Would you like to try?" He asked suddenly, offering Autumn his pipe. "It might calm your nerves for the time being."

"Of course!" She smiled faintly, taking the pipe in hand and bringing the neck to her lips. She took a long drag of the smoke before slowly exhaling the fumes. "This is good," she commented, handing it back. "What is it?"

Aragorn smiled softly, "It doesn't have a name. At least not a name I know. I found it near Weathertop, the night we met."

"One of these days, I'll need to get my own pipe," Autumn replied with a teasing smile. She glanced at Boromir from the corner of her eye and she could have sworn he was already looking at her.

The Gondorian man's grey eyes were clouded with both worry and weariness. In the three or so hours they had been gathered round the fire, he seemed to be just as restless as Gandalf. His gloved hands played with the horn that hung from his leather strap.

He forced a small smile when his gaze met Autumn's. Her smile was contagious and it came as no surprise when he felt his lips turn upward as well. He watched her with a sort of curiosity- especially upon trying the Ranger's pipe. Boromir had never seen a woman try a pipe- much less have a like of alcohol.

Autumn turned her gaze away from Boromir and toward Legolas. Her smile broadened when the Elf returned her friendly grin.

Boromir felt a pang of jealousy run down his spine. The Elf was a prince, and the maiden was the daughter of one of the Valar. Not just one of the Valar, mind you- the most well-known 'goddesses' in all of Gondor.