Chapter 3: Mithrandir and Lord Elrond

Chapter 3- Mithrandir and Lord Elrond

Autumn swallowed hard and her eyes widened; "My mother helped create Middle Earth?" She was astonished. In truth, she had always assumed her mother was some painted whore who cared more about herself than raising a baby.

Autumn resented her mother for years- but try as she might, she could never persuade her father to tell her very much about her birth-giver. "She was beautiful," her father had admitted one day. "She had hair the color of corn silk; and those gorgeous, grey-green eyes of yours. She was always so full of life and loves and no matter the circumstances, she could always make you feel at peace; safe. With her hands, she managed to cure hundreds of many diseases and wounds- and that was what attracted her father to her.

"Yes," the Weaver answered bluntly. "But clearly, Estë has not visited you by dream or to your world."

Autumn's jaw dropped; "Estë?" She asked, "The patroness of rest and healing?"

Varië chuckled, "This is very interesting. I would have assumed my sister would have at least visited you in a vision or something the least bit similar... But she hasn't you say?"

Autumn shook her head, "No," she answered honestly. "I didn't even know Middle Earth was real..."

This time Varië laughed, "How did the stories reach your world if not the fact that someone on earth visited the Arda. One cannot write about a place they have never been..."

Did Tolkien visit Middle Earth before the books were written? How did all of this come to pass?

"It doesn't happen very often," the Weaver said, reading Autumn's mind. "In fact, you are the third to be descended from the Valar."

"The third?" She asked with a furrowed brow.

Varië's gaze turned up toward a flight of dark, marble stairs. "You must go: Mandós must not know of your presence."

Autumn opened her mouth to protest, only to find her sight growing hazy and dark. "Varië!" She protested, her voice growing faint and husky as her head swam with the temptation of sleep. She felt her head swim in blackness as the weaver faded away into nothingness.

Abruptly, Autumn's eyes shot open and her body threw itself forward. She was back in Rivendell, and her forehead was speckled with sweat. Her breathing was rigid and uneven; her heart thumped wildly against her breath. "It was a dream?" She choked out, taking in the bright, sunny room. The morning had come far too quickly for Autumn's taste and part of her wished she had more time to sleep- but she had a meeting with Lady Arwen this morning. At least that's what Lindir had told her.

Tossing the sheets aside, Autumn hurried to the wardrobe where she quickly decided upon a crimson dress that flaunted her ivory skin and complimented her curvy figure. Her boots were replaced by a pair of black slippers with small sliver toes. With haste she made her way into the bathroom and closed the door, eager for some sort of privacy.

Autumn's long, midnight-black hair was left down and her face was free from any makeup products. Whatever sort of Elvish magic was here had seemingly enhanced her features overnight: her skin was smoother than it had been before and her eyes seemed a brighter gray than previously. After stripping off her nightgown, she slid into the Crimson dress with ease. The back of the dress was laced up with a pair of white ribbons, which in turn were tied behind her neck. The bodice of the dress was decorated with small golden berries and in the center was the image of a silver tree. Simple, yet elegant.

Autumn brushed her teeth, eager to rid herself of any trace of morning breath. She had to make a good impression- she was meeting Lady Arwen for the second time, and she feared the first hadn't been a very good welcome.