Chapter IX- The Battle for Helm's Deep

Autumn and Aragorn made their way into the armory as the majority of men began exiting. They found themselves digging through the piles of discarded armor to find something that might keep them safe in the upcoming clash. The woman located a piece of chainmail, leather jerkin, and bracers that seemed to fit her. She needed to make sure she was protected, but she also needed to make sure that she was lithe and flexible enough to ensure she'd be able to get around nimbly in the midst of battle.

As Autumn sheathed her Elvish sword, wishing desperately that she still had the bow Legolas had given her back in Rivendell. It had been difficult when she'd realized the bow had been lost at Amon Hen. Nevertheless, she was still grateful that Legolas had saved her blade from the field; at least she would have access to that during battle.

"We can find you another bow," Aragorn said with a small smile as he pulled a chainmail shirt over his head.

Autumn's head shot up in confusion. "What?"

"I saw you looking at the bows along the wall of the armory. We can find you a new one if you'd like."

Autumn forced a small smile, shaking her head. "I've been spoiled with Elvish weapons, Aragorn. First, my blade, which I retrieved when I first met you, and then my Elvish bow, a gift from Legolas. I'm not sure I can use man-forged weapons again."

The Ranger chuckled. "I'm sure we can find you a new one eventually."

Perhaps sooner than we think, she thought. Maybe one of the Elves- if they were still coming- would give her one.

"You must think I am picky," Autumn muttered, looking down her boots.

Aragorn smiled. "Only a little."

"Are you worried at all?" Autumn probed. "About Melkor and what he knows that I know about the battle? Do you worry that the precautions that I've made sure we take will be corrupted? That I might be corrupted?"

The Ranger shrugged. "You have not given me a reason to doubt you. In the same way that Boromir was tempted by the Ring or Théoden plagued by Saruman, I don't think anyone of us is out of the enemy's reach. The difference between you and them is that only you know how this ends. The rest of us, well, we're merely pawns being moved about the board."

Autumn swallowed hard. Her mind wandered back to Galadriel's Mirror under the Mallorn trees in Lothlórien. She remembered the different images she had seen: fire licking at stone walls and the bodies of Aragorn and Boromir bleeding under ash and smoke. She saw the plagues of Sauron storming her own world, lit in a blaze of a red inferno. Surely, that could not be her doing. Autumn was a Healer... And Healers did more good than bad, right?

"Don't worry about what comes tomorrow, Daughter of Estë. Worry about tonight first, staying alive and keeping the rest of us alive," the Ranger mussed her hair with a chuckle. "Think of all the men and boys you have already saved. Surely, lasting the night won't be too difficult."

Autumn's eyes weld with tears. "Yes, it can't be that hard." She was grateful for his brotherly advice and manner.

The two were distracted and did not hear the door behind them creak open as their comrades entered the room. Aragorn reached for his sword but found that Legolas already held it in his hand, offering it to the Ranger in peace. "We have trusted you this far," the Elf said quickly. "You have not led us astray. Forgive me. I was wrong to despair."

Aragorn smiled softly, clasping the Elf's shoulder, and Legolas followed suit. "Ú-moe edaved, Legolas." There is nothing to forgive.

Boromir and Autumn exchanged a look, their eyes locking in a sort of knowing. They were both clad in armor and ready for battle. Boromir looked regal and handsome, and Autumn was both lovely and fierce. Before either of them could exchange a word, the Dwarf came waddling into the room, holding a handful of too-long chainmail in his fists.