Chapter 36

Andrei's POV

I unlock the door to the bedroom and flick the lights on, only to see that Skylar's still sleeping peacefully. I set our food on the table in the reading nook and make my way over to the bed slowly. "Skylar.." I whisper and move some hair from her face.

She just continues to snore quietly and nestles her head into the pillow a little more.

Nodding to myself, I reproach the table with the food and take a seat to eat. I have to admit, as much as I used to think my sister's line of work was a complete joke, she does a damn good job at picking out furniture.

I kick my feet up on the little coffee table and dig in to my steaming-hot food all while I continue to watch Skylar in her slumber. Hopefully she wakes up soon, she needs to eat after everything that has happened.

I'm thinking of hiring a live-in doctor for her. Maybe with them being here, Skylar can get better and hopefully make it to full term without any further complications. She needs to be able to walk down that aisle next week in good health.

When I finish my food, I place the dirty plate outside on the floor for the dish person to collect on their rounds. I glance at the door to my room for a moment and wonder if I should stay here or go to my own room for the night. If I stay here, I risk there being a fight between the two of us and Skylar losing her mind from those restraints, but if I leave, she might get out out of them and try to kill herself again.

Shit. I've really brought it on the both of us this time..

Sighing heavily I unbutton my shirt, unlace my belt, and remove my clothing until I'm only in boxers. Yeah, I could just sleep in my clothes, but as expensive as they were, they are defiantly not meant for the comfort of sleeping.

I flip back the blankets on the bed and carefully crawl in, being sure there's a comfortable distance between Skylar and I.

~~~

That night...

Skylar's POV

Just when I had thought I ended all the pain, all the suffering and weight hanging over me, I wake up. My head aches like it's never ached before, and as for the rest of me? Well, the same, but maybe even shittier-feeling than it usually is.

"Oh no.." I whisper to myself in the emptiness of this dark room. I can feel some bandaging wrapped up at my head, professionally done it seems.

With my left hand, I attempt to feel the bandaging, but my hand arm is suddenly stopped and that's when I feel some sort of fabricated cuffing around my wrist; both my wrists. "What the fuck!" I whisper so loudly that it comes out as though someone offended me.

I can feel my body drop into panic mode as I realize more and more about what's happened: I'm tied down to a bed all bandaged up from a desperate life-taking attempt which failed me. Now I have to live this life that I would never lead.

Suddenly, the bedsheets and ruffle beside me and I become a statue out of absolute fear there on the bed. Out in the nearly blinding darkness, I can see a tall figure sitting up on the bed beside me with messy dark hair and skin that's so light you can even see it in the blackness.

"Shhh," he says.

Of course it's Andrei, why wouldn't it be?

In a shaky breath, I feel his hand graze against my cheek in a fair attempt to calm me down. "Please, Skylar. I promise you're safe, I am only here to make sure it stays so."

I shake my head in a panic. "L-let me go!" I cry and shake my restrained wrists. "Why did you do this?!" This can't be happening.. He's going to keep me here and I'm never going to be free again; this is it.