Chapter 11

Skylar's POV

My heart begins to beat normally when everyone has left and I can finally breathe again. I see now, Andrei, looking down at me with the most worry in his face I've seen in awhile.

He innocently takes a piece of my hair and twirls it in his fingers before placing it behind my ear. "Next time, just run from me. I make impulsive decisions, Skylar. I can't help it."

"Wh-what are you talking about?" I whisper as he bends down and throws me over his strong shoulder.

At this point, I don't even think to care about the fact that I may be too heavy for him to even get across the room. My eyes blink once, then twice, and I'm out.

~

~

~

"Skylar?" a soft voice calls out as a hand grazes over my shoulder.

Before I even think to open my eyes, I am quick to think where I am. The surface I'm laying on is familiar; painfully familiar, that is. I slowly stretch my left hand open and my palm smooths over the silky fabric beneath me. I'm definitely not in my bed.

"Skylar, I know you're awake," he says, this time more snarky and impatient. Where did Andrei from a few moments ago go?

I open my eyes and meet the ceiling I unwillingly meet almost every morning. I look to my left and see Andrei standing over me in an entirely different outfit: business attire as per usual.

"Good afternoon, princess," he says with that same annoyed voice of his. How can he possibly hate me as much as he does and still want me every time we're alone?

Dismissing my saddened thoughts, I turn my head to the alarm clock on the bedside table and see the time, 9:08 in bright red, so bright I have to look away. But something else catches my eyes too. An bottle of pills scattered out amongst the bedside table.

Oh crap! I'm over 4 hours late for work!

"I've got to go!" I say and hurriedly get out of the comfy bed, then stumble my way towards the door.

I grasp the handle and turn it left to right but it doesn't budge. I try right to left but it still doesn't budge.

What does he possibly want from me? He loves me one second and the next he wants nothing to do with me.

I don't understand anything anymore!

Letting my ice-cold hands drop to my sides, I turn around and slide down against the door until my knees are to my chest. That's when I notice I'm in completely different clothes: an over-sized old concert shirt and underwear. Not much, but at least I'm not naked.

"Please," I beg and slowly gaze up at Andrei who's now walking over to me. He probably wants sex. "Just let me leave. You'll never have to see me again. I'll leave the country, I'll do whatever, I promise!" I beg some more and don't even realize I'm so desperate to get out of here until I feel my hot tears slide down my cheeks.

I quickly turn around and wipe the wetness off my face before he sees I'm as weak as every other girl. But in reality, I guess I am. I was weak enough to agree to a crappy offer like this just to survive. I would be better off dead than alive at this point.

"Turn around," he orders and I oblige as per usual. His hardened face doesn't soften at the sight of me like most 'normal' people would at the sight of someone so distressed. "You're probably wondering why you're still here." He plops down onto an armchair not far from me. "Well, let's just say I changed my mind. You aren't quite all used up yet, so congratulations. You get to live another liveable day. But only for now. Like I said, I change my mind."

"C-can I go?" my shaky voice asks and I take a step back into the door again, my hand latching back onto the handle in anticipation.

He smirks and props his foot up onto his knee. "No," he chuckles darkly and stares at me like I'm the stupidest person he's ever met.

"W-why?" I ask. Stupid question, Skylar!

He continues to chuckle, each one more sadistic than the last which leaves me standing there waiting for what fate has in store for me this time.

"You are no longer a maid anymore," he finally says with a firmer tone. "You are strictly just mine."

His? Why would he want me to be his if he does the shit he does to me!

"Here!" he says as if an idea has just popped into his head. He goes over to the couch in front of the fireplace and grabs the thin, white knitted blanket from it along with a small throw pillow that's fabric looks itchier than a first graders head.

With both items in hand, he strides over to the far empty corner of his room and places the blanket and pillow down so it looks like a bed. A far from comfy bed...

"There you go." he gestures at the arrangement with his usual snarkiness and pride. "You'll be sleeping here for the duration of your limited time here. Don't get too comfortable."

He heads into his closet and I stand there staring at the sad sleeping arrangement before me.

Out on the streets, we had shelters from time to time, even old, used mattresses left out on the curb. My back was already in pain from the thin foam beds in the maids quarters. I'm even more screwed now.

My posture immediately straightens when I hear the closet door open, slam and lock again.

This time, I notice he's carrying a small stack of clothing which all blend in together due to the similarity in colouring. Those most be mine.

He tosses the items onto the 'bed' then dusts off his hands. "Get some rest, dear. You'll need it for tonight," he says as he passes me by on the way to the door out. The door slams again and I'm left all alone.

If only he had shot me instead of that man...