2. Truth under the Layer

Delhi
Garden

" Where did I fail, Ma? How can she act in such a way?" he cried in his mother's embrace, the garden where his mother's warmth is present. Hoping to find solace in there. True, he got the warmth he needed. The feel he wanted. The comfort he is greedy for.

"I told her that my relationship was nothing but platonic. If she had her doubts, she could have asked me, better she could have directly blamed me. DNA Test? How can she do that? Is it that easy for her? How can she? My Khushi will never do such a thing. Where is my Khushi, Ma? How..? " he cried in his mother's garden sitting under the tree he planted with his mother. The tree is giving enough shelter to save him from evening sun rays.

" Khushi!!" he continued to cry with her name on his lips. The pain was evident in his orbs, his voice was vulnerable. He checked on his tears as his throat dried up, tears rolling down his eyes. His cheeks are wet with his tears. His eyes became red, more burdened. Uncontrollable sobs shook him back and forth. He's not in his senses to even have a look at his surroundings. He's in too much pain that his wife didn't trust him, she didn't confront him, that she hurt him; to notice the blooming flowers around him. That's when a bird fell on his lap, he got out of his daze sensing the birds move in his lap, he looked at the bird and took the bird in his hand. It was a tiny bird that could have possibly fallen down from the tree. But, how could it have fallen down by itself? Must have been slipped, he thought. And then, he heard the squealing of a bird. The squeal he heard looked like an angry squeal, with the pressure it was howling. He looked up to gaze at the angry bird. A clear picture of two birds, probably a couple; reflected its picture on his iris.

 A clear picture of two birds, probably a couple; reflected its picture on his iris

Looking at them howling, the bird in his hand opened its wings to fly. He noticed the tiny bird reaching the couple. As the third bird came in between the two, one of them kicked the third bird out, as if kicking everyone out from their small world of two who tried to separate them. The couple bird looked so beautiful. The bond between them looked more sacred as the other tiny bird tried to comfort its partner, by simply opening its wings as if to hide them, their bond behind the wing from evils. It looked so pure, words were not enough to name their bond.

As he looked at them, he can frame himself and Khushi in its place. How perfect it is! Just like a dream, so pure. Dream? Isn't it their "Choti si Duniya"? When did it become a dream? Is it even a dream? Or is it just a mirage, a mirage of the perfect couple? Isn't it? He realized it is as he closed his eyes in pain at the realization, probably late. They are not what it looks like. They are not a couple even, the perfect couple can go to hell. When was the last time they acted as a couple? When was the last time he spends his time with her? When was the last time he looked at her in the eye? Where has that gone? How did he not notice all that? Every time, there was an interruption. The bird is more clever than any human, it just kicked out the third wheel between them. He let the third wheel enter their life. And when she asked him about Sheetal, he told her that there is nothing to worry about his relationships or regarding Sheetal. Told her! But, is telling enough? Is a single line of five to six words enough? Couldn't he assure her? Where was he when she needs assurance? He was not there because he didn't realize her need for assurance. When he didn't assure her of his relationship, could he blame her when she thought he was the father of Aarav? Was he not responsible for erasing her insecurities? When he didn't even realize his wife's insecurity, how could he possibly ensure her? Where was he when their family members kept comparing that kid with him, how similar they were? Was it not his duty to protect his wife from such senseless words? Duty? When did the love he had for his wife become a duty? Was he that ignorant? Where did his love fade away? Did it fade away, really? Or he ignored his love?
And he not only ignored his wife's feelings, but he also didn't care about the fact that he was spending his time with his ex. Did Sheetal and Aarav become so important that he didn't even notice what was happening around him? How can he not notice it? How can he ignore the facts? He opened his eyes wide at the realization, the truth is in front of him, the truth which is hiding behind the layer. He ignored it. It's his fault. He deserves what Khushi did, a DNA test. He deserves it all. Yet, he couldn't help but hope, a hope where there was no DNA test, instead of that, a slap, a confrontation, a terrible fight, and a heart-wrenching scream were better to open his eyes.