nick•names

description: Cas asks why Dean doesn't have a nickname.

note: Day two of my thirty day writing challenge! Expect short, fluffy one shots each day for pride month! I apologize that it's really short!

words: 1,279

Dean was always the one to make up the nicknames. Whether it was his younger brother, angels of the Lord, prophets, demons, and even God himself, the hunter gave them nicknames. Perhaps it was out of sheer laziness, which is what Sam thought it was, or Dean just wanted to because he could. Most likely the latter. Or both.

Laying down on the couch, Castiel had his head on Dean's lap and Dean was running his fingers through his dark, ravenous hair as they were watching Dr. Sexy M.D. Dean's admittedly, shameful favorite show of all time. Cas didn't understand why Dr. Sexy was sexy. Maybe it was the long, brown lucious hair, or the cowboy boots. Or maybe Dean liked a man in uniform. Who knew. Dean knew, which to him, was all that mattered. Dr. Sexy wasn't real, so Cas had no reason to be scared that he would dump him for a doctor. Cas thought angels were way better.

Cas looked up at Dean, giving him Dean's favorite look, the famous puppy eyes. Dean loved it and Castiel would always take advantage of it, prompting him to do whatever he wanted. However, when he saw the eyes, he knew it was either a favor, or a question. It was the second option.

"How come you don't have a nickname?" he asked, tilting his head even on Dean's lap.

"What? What do you mean?" he looked down, putting the television on mute.

"You know. You call me Cas, and you also call me baby as well. Everybody has a nickname, except for you."

"Pfft." he let out a raspberry. "Not everybody."

Sam popped in his head, with a laptop balancing on his hand and a book in the other. "So get this,"

"Not now, Sammy."

Cas sat up from Dean's lap, looking at him. "See, Dean. Sam has a nickname. I have a nickname. You give nicknames to my brothers and sisters too. Even God. You call him Chuck."

"That's a pseudonym! He wanted to be called that." Dean put both of his hands up, then back down immediately.

"That does not matter. Why do you even call me baby? I thought that was the name of your vehicle."

Dean's ears tinted pink, and Sam smiled, closing both his laptop and his book and placing them down on the nearest table. Dean coughed into his fist, grabbing the remote to turn the sound back on.

"Dean."

"Fine, uhm. Well," he rubbed the back of his neck, biting his lip. "I don't know. I guess... I guess you remind me of her."

"Why?" Cas titled his head, sitting on the both of his calves, his hands resting in his lap. Sam had sat down, kneeling his back over to listen to the conversation.

"Well, you-your hair matches the color of her paint, and..." Dean coughed. "And I love you more than her."

"You do?"

"Well, of course, Cas. You're like the... the love of my life!"

Castiel switched his position, sitting upright and taking out his left leg from underneath him, letting his foot hit the ground. The both of them were very flustered at the moment. Dean couldn't stop distracting himself by scratching his neck. He always did that, trying to make the situation not as awkward by occupying his hands with something free, which most of the time, was itching his neck.

"Okay, well. We need to find you a nickname!" Cas smiled, jumping up on the cushion, excited. The television whirred with colors, yet the bottom corner had a megaphone with a red line through it, meaning it was muted, and so therefore there was no sound for a while. Dean kept eyeing the tv, trying to pay both attention to his television crush, and to what his angel and his annoying brother were saying to him.

"I know one." Sam prompted, tucking his long hair behind his ears. He then saw the look on Dean's face. It was a, "I'm fucked." type look. Sam related a lot to that same look, coincidentally. Especially now. 

"No." Dean stuck out his finger at his younger brother, shaking his head and giving Sammy the look that could kill.

Sam smiled, being the annoying brother that he was. They grew up together, and neither Dean nor Sam's personality had changed. It was always the fun loving, life of the party type situations. Not like either of them were invited to parties, they knew they probably were.

"What is it?" Cas' hands ended up back on his lap, looking over at Dean.

"Not tellin'." the older hunter pouted.

"Huggy bear."

"Sam! Oh my god." Dean blurted out. "You son of a bitch."

Dean shook his head as Sam let out a roar of laughter, cackling like a witch and slapping his thigh. Cas was equally as amused and Dean crossed his arms, slouching in his chair.

"Never call me that."

"Okay, huggy bear." Cas smiled, coming back to Dean, trying to put his head on his shoulder.

Dean playfully pushed him away. "You're a loser, Sammy."

"Am not, jerk!"

"Am too, bitch." Dean snapped back, giving him the equally informal version of the Z-snap on his face.

Huggy bear was a nickname Mary had called Dean as he grew up into a toddler. How Sammy found out, Dean had no fuckin' clue. Sam would randomly call him that and Dean practically cocked his gun, ready to blow Sam's brains out and then his. It was cute when Dean was three, but not thirty. The nickname gave Dean a sense of remembrance though, remembering when Mary would make him mini pies for dessert, popping them out of the oven and telling him to wait, along with the now infamous nickname. But now, Cas knew about the nickname and he would probably never let it down.

Weeks later, Dean thought they had forgotten. It had been a whole weekend since they called him that. Dean started counting after a week, and it turned out to be two hundred seventy-six all within three weeks. Dean was no longer in their vocabulary. But they had neither said Dean nor huggy bear, so perhaps they forgot. If they did, thank God for that. If they remembered again, then Dean would never hear the end of it. It already reached Charlie and Rowena somehow, even though they were all scarcely apart from each other. Charlie called him once and before she hung up, she called him huggy bear and then apologized that it was now a habit. Son of a bitch. That short sentence was currently the thoughts going around Dean's head. It was an embarrassing nickname, that Dean had no idea how Sam found out. He was only six months old when she died, and so he would've never remembered the nickname.

Dean was sitting on the couch once again and Cas walked by, Dean looked up, knowing his boyfriend would look as smoking as ever, but he was met with not only the angel, but the younger hunter, too. They both had devilish smiles on their faces, and Dean gave them a silent look of basically asking, "What the hell are you doing?"

"You thought we forgot." Cas said, his hands behind his back.

"We never did," Sam looked at Dean, his eyebrows raised up with a plastered, shit-eating grin.

"Huggy bear." they both said in unison. Goddamnit, two hundred seventy-seven and many, many more counting.