Chapter 14

Song for the chapter: True love by Wizkid.

This chapter is dedicated to thepeachygirl02 ❤️ And Elbearry57 ❤️

Tomi

Noisy splatters of rain drops hitting the roof as it poured down heavily was what woke me up from my deep slumber. I had overslept, that was what I knew, now the question was by how many hours.

I remained on my back and groggily grabbed my phone from the nightstand and held it up and my eyes popped in realization of the time. It was currently thirty minutes after seven am and I had to get to work before eight am. I groaned and buried my face in my pillow.

I ran to the bathroom, had a quick bath and when I was done, I cladded myself in a red dress and fitted snugly on my tall and curvy figure. I checked the time and i saw that I had just twenty minutes left so that meant that there was no enough time to grab breakfast.

I rushed to the parking lot and drove out of the compound with full speed and in no time i was standing in the elevator leading to the upper floor where my office was located. My legs jiggled with nervousness as I walked to my office. I had never been this late before so I didn't know how to act.

"Good morning ma'am, you are late today." Stephanie followed me closely and I gave her my bag of files to carry. "Was there an accident on the way? You needed to have seen what happened in my area. I was just walking and minding my business-"

I closed my ears and grunted. "Stephanie! Can you please shut it. I'm not in the mood."

"Okay ma'am I'm sorry." She said solemnly. "But why are you late today?" She asked.

"Something came up." I cleared my throat as I walked quickly, my black stilettos clinking loudly in the tiled floor. There was no way that I was going to tell her that I overslept.

"If I may ask ma, did that something not even allow you to buckle your shoes properly?"

"Stephanie!"

"I'm sorry ma."

I rolled my eyes as I pushed the door of my office open and walked in.

"Send me the files that I asked you to work in yesterday and please be fast about it." I sat down on chair and logged into my computer.

"Any other thing?"

"No, just that." I replied curtly and she walked out of the office.

I skimmed my hands through the big black folder containing papers on my desk and sighed heavily. On cue, I heard my door opened and I dropped the folder in my drawer.

"Okay drop the files on my desk and get to work immediately. If anyone asks about me tell them I'm busy." I said, my eyes trained on the computer screen but I noticed that no files were dropped on the table.

"Stephanie I don't have the time for your silly jokes." I raised my head ready to give her a piece of my mind.

Seun was seated on the chair in front of me. His hands were placed directly on the table and his eyes were fixated on me.

"Hello Zara." His voice snapped me out of whatever it was that I had going on in my head.

"Good morning Sir." I greeted Him.

His eyebrows rose. "I remember telling everyone at the last meeting that i wouldn't appreciate tardiness and late coming right?" He asked, his fingers drumming on the table.

"I'm so sorry sir, I was so stressed yesterday." I released a sigh when I saw the unbothered look that he was giving me. "I woke up late but it wouldn't happen again." I continued.

"I will let you off the hook this time because it's your first time..but let this be the last time."

"I promise sir." I said

"What were you so stressed about?" He asked surprising me by the different tone he used. Some seconds ago he was on full total professional mode and now he was talking like we were longtime friends.

"Uh?" I cleared my throat. "I mean its nothing."

"Are you sure?" He eyebrows rose as he raised his hands to scratch his temple. "Come on, you can talk to me."

I opened my mouth to speak but I heard a faint knock on the door. "Oh that must be Stephanie." I rubbed my nervous hands on my dress as I walked to the door to take the files from her.

"Oh you're in charge of that project." Seun said from behind me and I shuddered at the close proximity between us.

I walked to my chair. "Yeah I am. Were you expecting someone else?"

He placed his hands in the pocket of his black pants. "Not at all. Thank you for what you do for this company. You are brilliant at what you do."

"You sounded like you were going to chop my head off a while back."

He chuckled. "What can I say? I'm a big fan of punctuality."

"And that's good." I smiled. "Do you need anything else Sir? I have to get to work immediately."

"Stop saying sir like we aren't already on first name basis." He scoffed. "Call me Seun."

"Okay Sir." I replied suppressing a chuckle.

He sighed. "I should have known better, you'll always be stubborn." He walked to my desk and placed his hands on it. "I was invited to this event and I want you to be my date."

"And you think I will agree because?"

"Because we're friends, friends help each-other out and I hate going to those kind of events alone so if we go together, I'll feel a lot better."

"Seun I don't think I can do that. Think of what people will say..You're my boss!"

His eyebrows rose, a challenging look crossed his eyes. "So that means I get to make the rules around here." He winked and walked out of my office.

I chuckled, picking out the files that I was going to work on today when I heard my door open.

"Seun if you're back to convince me, just forget it." I said.

"Ma'am Zara it's me, Stephanie."

I rose my head and there she was typing away on her phone. "What are you doing? Did I call you in here?"

"You need to see this Ma. Check the latest trend on Twitter." She said, her voice getting louder and I rolled my eyes.

"Get out Stephanie!" I ordered and she scurried out immediately and Ray walked into my office laughing.

"She will never change."

I brought my phone and went straight to twitter. "This better be worth my time or Stephanie is going to get it hard from me." I murmured.

"Thank God you have iced water here..I've been so thirsty." Ray did a small happy dance and I shook my head in amusement.

I stared at my phone in terror. "Oh my goodness! Ray you need to see this!"

He ran over to my desk immediately and I gave him my phone.

"What?!" He gasped and I opened my eyes which I had shut on impulse.

_______________________________

Cliffhanger vibezzzzzz! 😂😂😂

Hello guys! I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Don't forget to vote, comment and anticipate the next chapter.