Chapter 41: Band On The Run

Crickets chirp in the distance, their soft sounds chaotically clashing with the growls of the incoming zombies and the idle chatter of the orchestra members.

"Uh, don't we need to do something about those zombies?" Jim asks, fiddling with his hands.

Peter glares at him. "You mean the zombies that have been drawn here by the noise all your friends are making?"

"Oh, is that what attracted them?"

He stiffens, and I place my hand on his arm in an attempt to calm him. "Is killing a trombonist really murder?"

"Okay, okay," Sam says, letting out a deep breath as he tries to calm himself. "Here's the situation. We've got one orchestra, recently escaped from Sigrid. We didn't mean to have a whole orchestra, but now we have it, and we're just going to have to live with it.

"We've got Sigrid's people in hot pursuit, we've got zombies, and we haven't got enough passes to get everyone over the border, because apparently Jim doesn't know how to count and said there were nineteen total members when there are really twenty-five! And that's even if we could reach the border."

I feel panic rise in my chest. A part of me wonders if we should just hit Jim on the back of the head to knock him unconscious, and then just drag him with us over the border and let the others be captured.

The only problem with that is the orchestra members would definitely tell the Ministry workers what happened in order to save their own skin, which would in turn make Abel kidnappers. That would give Sigrid a reason to send in her troops and destroy us. I mean, she's already planning an invasion, but this would give reason for the public to support.

"I have a plan," Kefilwe states, and everyone around her breathes a sigh of relief.

"Oh, thank God," Sam sighs.

"Steve and I talked about this as a way we could bring me back," She explains. "It's simple. We only need twenty-five zombies, a large articulated lorry, and a small packet of Semtex."

Peter frowns in confusion. "You have a strange definition of simple."

"Aha, yeah!" Sam cheers. "There's-looks like there's a Laundry munitions dump not far from you, and the M25 has plenty of abandoned lorries in it. It's in running distance."

The blonde nods with a neutral face. "And the zombies will not be a problem. Peter, you go after the explosives."

"Aye aye, Captain. Uh, I mean, Doctor. Dr. Captain."

"Just go," I laugh, and he smiles at me before running off. Kefilwe turns to me, and I straighten.

"I will obtain the lorry. Five, you will need to attract enough zombies for us to lead them to the lorry. If this is alright with you, Sam?"

"Yep," He answers quickly. "I-I've no idea what you're planning, but I'm excited to find out."

"Alright. Five, you will need to be loud in order to grab their attention," She says as I start to run off.

"Well, you won't have to worry about that," Sam says casually, and I blink as my brain processes his words.

"What exactly is that supposed to mean?" I ask defensively, and he chokes.

"N-nothing. I wasn't-it's not a bad thing, but you're not exactly quiet when you're excited, are you? Plus, I can say whether or not you're loud because I'm with you just about twenty-four seven."

I shrug. "We can change that, if you want."

"I'm not saying that's a bad thing!" He yells, only pausing when I giggle quietly. "You just love messing with me, don't you?"