Chapter 18: Space Oddity

Trigger warning: Mention/talk of suicide in this chapter. View discretion is advised.

"So, yeah, we've got seven V-type zoms trapped inside the mall with Tom," Sam says, his voice laced with worry and shaking slightly. "He's cornered in the newsagent's. Uh, there's a metal grill protecting him, but the zoms are pulling at it. Some of them-some of them have pulled fingers off, but that doesn't seem to be stopping them. Five, Eight, Maxine, you're safe outside the mall. You're clear of zoms at the moment, right?"

"There are few shamblers around, but we've got Milo dealing with them. Nothing too threatening," Maxine answers.

"Tom, how are you holdin' up?" Jody asks softly.

"I'm-situation under control, Commander," Tom answers, his voice clipped and cold. Professional, like Janine's. "Apologies for the temporary loss of... of..."

"It's fine, babe. You're doin' well. We're goin' to get you out of there."

"The V-types can be killed," Maxine says. "It just requires total dismemberment or disintegration."

"Disintegration would be preferred," I pipe up. "In the caves, I beat a zombie to a pulp and the organs still moved towards us. I think a bomb would do, but..."

"It would kill me too," Tom finishes, his voice too calm. "Sometimes blue-on-blue kills are unavoidable."

"We're not killin' anyone!" Jody shouts.

"Plus, we don't actually have a bomb, so you know," Sam says, and I bite my lip, trying to think up a plan.

"Maxine and I could open the doors, lure the V-types away," I suggest. It's not an ideal plan, but I've never been one to come up with the most calculated plans. That's more Janine's thing. "If we lead them off and pulled a McShell maneuver or something, then maybe we could lead them off a cliff or something, you know?"

"Too risky. These zoms are faster than your normal shambler," Jody replies, and I grit my teeth. She wasn't even in those caves. I was! I know exactly how fast these zombies can be. "And if any of them get away from us, it'll endanger innocent civilians. Come on, guys! We need options."

"Well, I don't see you coming up with anything," I snap. "There's not much can do when it comes to virtually indestructible zoms, Four!"

I know she's scared. I know she's even more scared than normal because it's her boyfriend and he's had some serious issues with being trapped. As someone who has thought their loved one was dead at one point, I know how terrifying this can be, but we're trying to save him. There's not much we can do when it comes to this.

"There's got to be something useful nearby," Maxine says, forcing a smile in an attempt to diffuse the rising tension. "Me, Five and Milo can all take a look around. You've got rid of most of those shamblers, right, Runner Eight?"

"Yeah," Milo replies. "All the ones that were headed near the mall are taken care of. There's a few in the distance, but I don't think we'll need to worry about them."

"Good," Jody says. "Be systematic. Five, you run sweeps of the east side. Maxine and Milo, you two take the west."

"Their eyes, Jody," Tom mutters, his voice on the edge of insanity. "Their eyes have all rotted away. Do they see when they look at me through those eyes?"

"Go, guys!" Sam yells. "And hurry!"

We take off, Maxine heading west to pair up with Milo while I head east. I've barely even begun, but I already know there's nothing that will be of use. These cars wouldn't start even if I tried to hotwire them, and even if I could get them to start, running over these zombies wouldn't do anything. I look back and see Maxine and Milo heading for the service station, maybe to see if there's any gasoline that could be use to burn the zoms up. The gas would be expired, but I don't think that would make it any less flammable.