Chapter 20: The Debt.

"Jack!" I spoke loudly, so that he could hear me from his place at the helm as I approached from the main deck.
He grumbled slightly in acknowledgement, his eyes trained on the sea in front of him. He gripped the wheel with an uncharacteristically hard grip, his knuckles almost turning white with the force of his grip.

"Jack?" I reached out to grasp his arm, attempting once more to get his attention but found no warmth below my fingers, not even a sense of recognition at my touch.
I sighed in defeat, trying my best to hide the disappointment on my features.

We'd been sailing for two days straight since leaving Tia Dalma's shack. As we neared the gulf Tia had lead us to, Jack became more reserved and solitary as he held the wheel night and day. The rains had come in as we approached the gulf, relentless and unwavering as all the crew, including myself, became soaked to the skin instantly.

"Wreck ahoy!" Marty shouted from the crowns nest above. We all turned to the direction he pointed, seeing a ship that had run aground just off in the distance.

"Mr Cotton! Bare the wheel!" Jack shouted suddenly, almost making me flinch. Mr cotton and the parrot appeared beside us within the minute and took over from Jack. Still not saying anything to me, he grabbed my waist and pulled me over to the starboard side next to Mr Gibbs and Will.

He bent down quickly, so that he could whisper in my ear, "Cuttlefish." He squeezed my shoulder, making sure I knew what he was doing and I gave a subtle nod back to him in confirmation, having recognised our code-word for 'go along with it'.

"That's the Flying Dutchman?" Will said looking out towards the wreckage, "she doesn't look like much," he added.

"Neither do you. Do not underestimate her," Jack said moving me forward along with  Mr Gibbs, now all stood huddled facing the wreck. He shot a quick look to Mr Gibbs, elbowing him gently to prompt him.
"Must have run afoul of the reef!" Mr Gibbs added dramatically.
My eyes flickered over to them, sensing something strange was happening but I had silently vowed not to say anything.
"So what's your plan then?" Jack asked Will.
"I row over, search the ship until I find your bloody key," Will said testily.
"And if there are crewman?"
"I cut down anyone in my path," Will replied with such determination and force that it made me pause a moment. He walked away, preparing for his mission.
"I like it, simple, easy to remember," Jack said jovially as he walked away, leaving myself and Mr Gibbs looking out at the wreck still.

Both of us knew Jack better than anyone, used to his ways and his schemes but this time we both shared a look with an unspoken unease, knowing something was off.

"Your chariot awaits you sire!" Ragetti called out laughing as he prepared the longboat for Will. We shared a look before he climbed over the side of the ship, clinging desperately to the ropes as the rain fell heavily.

Jack came up behind me, still stood beside Mr Gibbs, and threw his arm over my shoulders.

"Oi!" He shouted to Will, "if you do happen to get captured, just say Jack Sparrow sent you to settle his debt. Might save your life!"
It clicked, then. Jack was sending Will to replace his soul aboard the ship, 100 years service? No, he wouldn't. I knew Jack had a plan, he always did, but this time I was left in the dark.

"Bon voyage!" Ragetti called out, still laughing, as Will began to row away from the pearl, towards the shipwreck.

"Douse the lamps," Jack instructed to the crew around us who promptly doused all the lamps on deck.

I could now feel the tension aboard the ship, thick and eerie as each person waited, terrified of what will happen next.

"Love, I need you to trust me," Jack whispered as he held on to my shoulder. "Until I say, keep your distance from me and," he paused as if he was trying to find the right words, "I'm just your captain until I say, no Jack, savvy?" I nodded quickly, unsure of what it really meant but I understood the overall action. He nodded back, his eyes squinting lightly as he looked at me. He gave my arm one last squeeze, then hesitated for a moment as he gazed before pulling me tighter to him, laying a quick kiss on my forehead. He quickly pulled away and walked off in the opposite direction, towards Mr Gibbs who stood looking out towards Will. Jack was scared.