Chapter 4: Tortuga.

We arrived in Tortuga just after the sun had set. Jack had taken the wheel in our approach so that he could steer it safely as close to the docks as we could get. We anchored down not too far away from shore and took a longboat to the docks which was in a word, cramped, but we made it to shore quickly and tied up the boat.
Jack held his hand out for me as I climbed out, grabbing my waist with the other hand to steady me. I looked up from under my lashes smiling gently in thanks, causing him to wink back at me smirking. His eyes seemed to linger for a moment longer before almost bolting ahead up the dock with Will and I following behind.

"It is indeed a sad life that has never breathed deep this sweet, proliferous bouquet that is Tortuga, savvy? What do you think?" Jack asked as we made our way through the streets of Tortuga.
On our left were 2 men and a woman lay by barrels of some form of alcohol, covered it the wet sticky liquid laughing wildly as they held their goblets up to the holes that allowed the liquid to pour through.

"It'll linger," said Will plainly, clearly taking in all the sights and sounds just as I was, although his opinion seemed to be a lot more negative than mine.

"I'll tell you mate, if every town in the world was like this, no man would feel unwanted."
I could tell he was speaking more towards Will in that moment so I stood quietly observing everyone.
I noticed a huddle of women off to the side who looked, to put politely, a little worse for ware. The woman with a horrible pink dress and horrifically dyed bright red hair looked over at us and for a moment, causing me to panic until Jack noticed her presence.

"Scarlett!" Jack exclaimed, opening his arms wide in a greeting to the women. Without a word she slapped him straight across the face before turning on her heel and storming off. I couldn't believe my eyes and struggled to bite back a laugh at the captain's expense.
"Not sure I deserved that," Jack muttered to himself. Just as he seemed to bounce back from the slap, another woman walked up to him.

"Giselle!" Jack exclaimed once more.

"Who was she?" 'Gisele' accused, then turned to me, "an' who's she?" I said nothing for a moment, fixing her with a light glare.
Jack barely got the chance to to reply before she raised her hand and slapped his across the face, storming off to wherever her 'colleague' had gone.
"I may have deserved that." Jack confessed and I couldn't help the little snort that came out of my nose.

"So now where to?" Will asked impatiently. Jack seemed to look at him for a moment before nodding his head forward. It appeared he wasn't going to verbally answer Will and so we followed silently behind him. He suddenly slowed down and flung his arm over my shoulders, still not looking me in the eyes.

"Stay by me love, or the whelp, not safe to you be wandering on your lonesome, savvy?" He continued to look forward as we walked, only turning to me when I didn't reply. He looked up at me with a nervous demeanour, something I hadn't seen in him yet. He flashed me a quick, nervous smile that disappeared from his face almost immediately. Suddenly it clicked, he was embarrassed by the scene we just witnessed with the ladies. I decided to drop it for now.
"Yes captain," I said, feeling uncomfortable with his arm around me but not quite ready for his arm to be gone as it added warmth that I craved, feeling a little exposed in only my dress.  His brows furrowed for a moment but still didn't look at me.
"It's captain again now eh?" I could see his slight smirk but it didn't quite reach it's full potential.

Suddenly he stopped walking, grabbing me closer to him with a squeeze of his hand on my shoulder so that I wouldn't fall. Will immediately walked into him with a loud 'oomf', clearly not expecting him to stop so abruptly.
"I need to make a little stop, wait 'ere!" Jack said, his free hand pointing as he spoke. His arm slipped from my shoulders, his hand briefly touching my hair as he dragged it down, stopping to place his hand on my shoulder for a moment, "remember what I said love, savvy?" He said quietly so that Will couldn't hear. I nodded and he walked off somewhere down a little alley.