Chapter 5: Ready love?

I was woken by a loud, unfamiliar noise the next morning, jolting me awake sharply in the hammock. After a moment of silence, the loud snore I had apparently heard before rang out again and it took me a moment to get my bearings as I realised where I was.

Without much thought, I leapt out of the hammock, trying to be as quiet as possible as to not disturb the other two occupants near me. I grabbed my shoes that had been discarded on the floor last night and carried them until I reached the wooden stairs as to maintain my silence.

I turned round to see both men were still fast asleep in their respective hammocks. The snores seem to come from Will, who's mouth was open wide, his head deeply lodged into the side of the hammock and mostly covered by material.

I then turned to glimpse at Jack who still held his bottle of rum, almost cradling it in his arms like a child's prized toy. I paused for a second looking at his face, slightly shocked to see how soft his features looked and how peaceful he seemed in his sleep.

I walked up onto deck and noticed the sun shone gently, signalling it was just past sunrise.
I walked around the ship for a while, getting used to where everything was and what went where etc now I had the proper opportunity as we docked. I stood at the wheel for a moment, soaking in the early morning sun.

"Suits you there, love." A gravelly voice called out, making me flinch. I turn around to see Jack standing very close behind me, his face almost touching mine as I turned.

"Mornin','" he smirked, a dangerously smug smirk playing on his lips. I backed up a little, my back resting against the wheel as I looked away.

"Morning Jack," my own voice was still a little raspy from waking up. When I looked up at him again, his eyes looked darker, an expression on his face I couldn't read.

"Y'know, It's good having you around," he stated out of nowhere.

"And why's that, pray tell?" I countered.

"Least I'll never overlay with ya bangin' about." I turned around quickly, ready to argue with him until I saw the smirk on his lips, teasing me. "Nice on the eyes too."

I wasn't sure if I was flattered or offended. Hearing the words made me feel all flushed and mildly dizzy but I tried to push it down, playing it off. I rolled my eyes in mock-disgust but I couldn't stop the smile that spread on my lips, as hard as I tried.
I could not let myself feel this way, he was a pirate, we would have only know each other for the next few days and then that's it, he'd be gone again.

"I've got something for you love, wait just here," he said mysterious, walking off to the captain's cabin. He emerged a moment later with the sack he had acquired in Tortuga. I frowned, unsure why he would be giving me anything.

"Open it!" He prompted, his smirk turning to a smile. I opened the hessian sack and pulled out the contents frigidly. It was a hat. Similar to jacks but smaller and black. I looked up at him in questioning, brows still knitted together.

"You looked like you were burning up the other day love, thought you might need some protection," he replied, his hands coming up to my hair to roll a lock of red hair between his fingers.
"Jack, thank you but it's too much I can't just-"
"Course you can love...and you're welcome," he added in smugly, cockily walking away in his usual flamboyant way.
"Jack!" I shouted, following him and grabbing his arm so he would turn around.
"Lily!" He mocked, turning around quickly only for us to bump into each other, our faces again dangerously close. Jack gazed down at me with a look I couldn't place but it was heated and intense.