14

I woke up to my alarm set for 3:30am, I turned it off and rubbed my eyes before turning to van to wake him up. I got out of bed and put on my black leggings, a t shirt, pulled vans streets hoodie over my head and laced my dr Martens up, same as the outfit in travelled in from Wales. Van pulled his jeans on along with a jumper and slipped his Chelsea boots on. How that boy was traveling a day in jeans I do not know. We walked to the bathroom to brush our teeth before pulling our toothbrush into our backpacks. My makeup was packed in my suitcase but I had makeup I wasn't using, in a drawer in my room. I put the bare minimum on just so I didn't look like a walking zombie and put my hair into a ponytail. I picked up my laptop and it's charger, my headphones and my phone and it's charger. Everything else I needed was packed in my backpack already. Vans backpack was sorted he just put his phone charger in before zipping it up and putting it on his back. I quickly made my bed, put my pyjamas in the laundry basket as van walked downstairs to put his clothes from yesterday into his suitcase. I picked up my backpack and followed him downstairs. My grandma and Granda were sat in the living room chatting to van.

"Are we ready?" My granda asked

"I think so" I said

My grandma pulled me into a hug and kissed my cheek.

"have an amazing time, be safe. I love you"

"I love you too grandma"

"And you too van" she said giving him a hug

"Stay safe yourself, thank you for having me" he said leaning down to hug her back

My granda and van took our suitcases to the car while I stood at the door with my grandma giving her one last hug

"Bye love you" I waved while walking to the car

"Love you" she stood waving.

I got in the car and we all waved as the car pulled away. I was never good with goodbyes, but I wasn't by myself like how I usually am when I go back down to London. I had van, and in 20 minutes I would have the lads too. I put bondys address into the sat nav as the time had just gone 3:55am. Like always I connected my phone to the speakers.

"I'll put your playlist on granda" I laughed turning around to face Van "I have a playlist full of his favourite songs for when we're in the car together"

"Ah I see" he smiled

My grandparents were the same age as my friends parents as my mam had me when she was young. They brought me up and I lived with them all my life. Even when my mam got her own place with my brother and stepdad I stayed with them. My relationship with them was so strong and not living with my mam made my relationship with her stronger than it would have been if I did. It was unusual but it worked, and I was so thankful for them and for van understanding everything.

I pressed shuffle and Bruce Springsteen- dancing in the dark started to play and my Granda smiled.

"Ah what a song" Van said from the back of the car

"I love his music, brilliant song" my Granda said bobbing his head to the beat

"My granda is a Bruce Springsteen fanatic" I said turning round to face van

he laughed as my Granda started singing the song to himself as me and van joined in

You can't start a fire

You can't start a fire without a spark

This gun's for hire

Even if we're just dancin' in the dark

We continued to listen to the playlist on the way to bondys house. The eagles, fleetwood mac, electric light orchestra all played

"Impeccable music taste brian"