Chapter 13

Peeta POV

Katniss did a really good job on her interview. And Cinna's dress was absolutely amazing, it would be extremely hard for anyone to ever top that dress. When Haymitch's interview is finished, I head by the elevators, seeing other tributes already heading up into their rooms. Knowing Katniss, she probably left as soon as possible and is already upstairs, so I end up taking an elevator with Finnick Odair's mentor, Dustin.

"Hello Peeta." he says.

"Hello Dustin." I say.

"I'm sorry about the whole wedding thing." I'm so tired of hearing that phrase. I've heard it countless times. But, because I don't want any tension between me and Dustin, especially for tomorrow, I remain calm.

"Thank you, that means a lot."

"I know these aren't the typical games, and you've never had any mentoring experience, Peeta, and no one to coach you, especially in these games which will be especially hard to get through. But, even though both of our tributes can't win, I do want to help you out the best I can, especially since Katniss, Haymitch, and Finnick will be allies."

"Thank you. I will definitely be needing all the help I can get." We are silent for the rest of the ride, but only because we were so close to Dustin's floor. We say a quick goodbye, as the elevator continues to carry me up to the 12th floor of the complex. The doors open, and I see Katniss, Haymitch, and Effie sitting on the couch. Katniss must hear my leg, because she turns around and hugs me. I lead her back to the couch, knowing this is where she will say goodbye to Effie, and I will say goodbye to Haymitch.

"Haymitch, thank you for everything this past year. I really wish this wasn't how things turned out. But, I know you have played in important roll in our lives this past year, and I really wish I could return the favor." I tell him.

"Me too boy, but we're going to try our best to get one of us out of the arena. But I obviously can't promise anything." He says.

Katniss turns to Effie, who is already starting to cry, but Effie speaks before Katniss gets the chance. "Katniss I'm so sorry you never got to live the life of a Victor, like you deserved. I'm so proud of you."

"Thank you, Effie. You were the best escort we could've asked for. Thank you, so so much." Effie hugs Katniss, then me, then Haymitch, before hurrying out of the room, obviously because she didn't want us to see her cry.

Haymitch turns to Katniss. "Katniss, when you're in the arena, remember who the real enemy is." He then looks at me. "Peeta, remember what we talked about. And go with your gut." Haymitch then hugs me and Katniss, which takes us both by surprise, considering he's never been a huger.

I grab Katniss' hand and lead her down the hall to our rooms, which are across from each other. "I'm going to shower in my room, then I'll meet you in your room." I tell her.

She shakes her head quickly. "No. I'm to scared you're going to get locked out of my room. Plus I have a shower you can use." I agree, only because I'm also slightly scared that would happen. And this is possibly our last night together. We walk into her room, and I practically force her to shower first, because she keeps insisting to let me go first.

When we are both done showering, we lay down. I hold Katniss, and we just stare at each other for who knows how long. Eventually, I decide to speak up. "Katniss, you need to get as much sleep as you can for tomorrow."

"I know. But I want to remember my last night that I spend with you. I don't want to miss a single second." she says.

"But you won't be able to function without any sleep. Any if you win, we can have many more nights like this so you don't have to worry about it." I'm not letting her fight me on her sleeping or not. I know she will wake up, and not be able to fall asleep, but a few minutes of rest is better than nothing.

"Fine. I'll try. But, if you're up, can you wake me up before the stylists get here? I want to be able to say  a proper goodbye to you, even though my other ones were cut short."

"Okay. I'll be here the whole time. You can wake me up whenever you want." I kiss her on her forehead gently, but this doesn't satisfy her and she puts her lips onto mine. She leans her head on my chest, and closes her eyes. "Goodnight Katniss, I love you."

She mumbles a "Goodnight Peeta."

I tried to sleep, but I couldn't. I could only think about Katniss might be gone tomorrow. I will never hear her voice again, and never get to hold or kiss her again. As much as I refuse to admit it, I know it's unlikely for her to make it out. But I know she still has a slim chance. I also know that if I fall asleep, I will have a nightmare of Katniss dying in the arena. And I don't want to wake her up.

So I try to think of my happy memories with her, as I stroke her hair gently, careful not to wake her up.