Chapter 10

Katniss POV

Effie spits out her water. "KATNISS! YOU HUNG SECENA CRANE?!" I try hard not to roll my eyes. I mean I did want to stand out to the gamemakers I guess?

"Yeah why not, I didn't really have much else to do." I tell Effie. I then turn to Haymitch. "What did you do, Haymitch?"

He grunts. "I threw some knives. Really the only thing I can do." We wait impatiently for Ceasar to tell us our scores. He makes his way through all the other districts, and finally gets to District 12. He announces Haymitch's first, and he gets a 10.

He then tells me my score, and I honestly can't say I'm surprised. I got a 12. Has that even been done before? Peeta, who is sitting next to me, looks at me with a look of worry on his face. I know by getting a perfect score, I practically put a target on my head. But I think I could have just sat there and got a 12. Snow wants me dead, and the sooner the better.

I just shrug in response to Peeta's face. "I had a feeling this would happen." I tell Haymicth, Effie, and Cinna goodnight and head up to my room, Peeta trailing close behind me. I walk into my room, and leave the door open, hoping Peeta choses to come in. And lucky for me, he does.

We don't speak. We just embrace each other. I know it's likely I won't make it out of the arena, especially because of the score I got. I'm sure Peeta realizes too.

Peeta eventually gets me to go change and get ready for bed. I tell him not to leave though, out of fear of him getting locked out of the room.

When I'm done showering, we embrace again for a few minutes before Peeta breaks the silence. "Katniss, promise me you'll try to get out of the arena."

"Peeta, you know it's likely I won't, I wouldn't be surprised if Snow told the other Victors to kill me." I tell him.

"Just try okay, Katniss? For Prim, and your mother, and Gale, and me-" I don't need a list of the people that I care about. So I kiss Peeta. How many more times will I be able to do this anyways? He pulls away after a short time. "Promise me Katniss."

"I promise." Peeta kisses me again.