Chapter 9

Haymitch POV

I hear a bang at my door, yelling at me to get ready. I throw my knife at the sound, hoping it will shut up. I consider taking a swig of some alcohol, but eventually decide against it, because it will just make things worse in the arena. I somehow get out of bed and change into the stupid training costume that I'm required to wear as I shuffle my feet down to the dinning area. Peeta is already there, eating his breakfast. Probably waiting for me so I can talk to him about mentoring for a little bit before Katniss comes down. And I was right. He asks a variety of questions, like "when should I, and shouldn't I send gifts?" and "is it better to save or spend?". I try to answer them to the best of my ability, but that's hard to do because part of it is thinking about what we will need later in the games, if we're alive, and the other part is just going with your gut.

Peeta turns his head to see Katniss come into the dinning area. "Sweetheart," I say, "grab a seat. I have a few things I need to talk about with you." Katniss sits down across from me and next to Peeta. "Alright. So today is all about making allies-"

"No." Katniss cuts me off.

"It's not a choice. We need allies." I respond.

"No we don't. We both got through almost our entire games without any allies. I think we will be just fine."

"You can be so stupid sometimes. You do realize that most of these people have been friends for years? They're not going to want to kill each other unless they have to. And you know who they don't know? Yeah, you. And I'm not exactly in fighting shape. So who do you think is going to be one of the first people they try to kill? Us. So we need some other people just so we have a chance our faces aren't in the sky the first night."

"Haymitch is right Katniss." Peeta says. Katniss just stays silent.

"At least one of you have brains." I say.

"I'm full." Katniss says as she leaves the room.

"She better come around." I mumble.

"What?" Peeta questions.

"Oh nothing." I say. Peeta excuses himself and says he's going to go talk to Katniss. I know it's very possible she won't want allies because of her stubborn self, which means I'll chose for her. But this would run the risk of having her just run off by herself, which is no good. If she did that she would definitely be dead. I'm just hoping the boy makes her change her mind.

AUTHORS NOTE

Hey guys! Sorry for the shorter chapter, I decided to not include them actually training. Just because I honestly have absolutely no idea what Haymitch would do, probably talk to the other Victors? And Katniss and Haymitch would definitely split up, so I think it's unnecessary to rewrite what Suzanne Collins has already written. But if you want to review the training scene, it Catching Fire pages 209-217, and omit the part where Katniss and Peeta talk at lunch.

I hope you are all enjoying the story so far! :)

Also if you guys are as bored as I am during quarantine I would definitely recommend watching the show Outer Banks on Netflix it's SO GOOD and honestly probably my favorite show right now. So if you haven't watched it yet, I would definitely recommend doing so!!!!