Chapter 5

Katniss POV

There's very few times I've been this grateful for something. I need to thank Haymitch later. For going into the arena. I don't know how the games are going to go for Haymitch. Although he wants to die, I won't be able to kill him. And I almost don't know if I want to get out of the arena. What would happen to me if I survived? I know the capital wants me dead. I don't know what would happen.

It happens so fast I barley even realize what's happening. I see Prim, my mother, Gale, and all of district 12 do the 3 finger salute. I do one back. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Peeta and Haymitch do it too. I feel hands on my arms and are pulled back and off of the stage by Peacekeepers.

One of them says "new protocol. We're going right to the train."

I start fighting their restraints. "No. I get to say goodbye."

"Not this time Miss Everdeen," the other one says.

I yell "goodbye," not knowing if I will see Prim and my mother ever again. I feel tears already starting to go down my face. I don't want to do this. I just wanted to keep Peeta and Prim alive. But now I'm just suffering the punishment for saving two of the people I care most about.

-----

I sit in the back of the train and stare out the window. I've lost track of time, and no one has came to check on me. The sun is starting to set, and I wonder what Prim and Gale are doing. Are they crying? Do they think I am going to win? Are they watching the sunset too?

It's dark by the time Peeta comes in. He comes in without saying anything, he just sits down next to me. I look at him. More like stare at him. Then he wraps his arms around me, and I don't object. I put my arms around him as he says "I'm sorry."