Chapter 01

Vanessa was running late

Vanessa was running late. Later than she normally would. The lack of sleep took over her body as she entered the coffee shop on 5th street. The one she would go to every single morning. It had become such a big part of her routine. She wasn't sure how she would fill the time in the morning if it wasn't sitting here. Getting through the night was usually hard enough.

But somehow, last night, she managed to get a few hours of sleep. More than she could remember getting in a long time and even though she got more sleep, her body felt less rested than ever. She contemplated getting a double shot of coffee this morning, double what she would normally get.

She tried to stay away from caffeine in hopes that it would help her sleep the next night, but as with every other night, sleep would never come and caffeine would be a requirement to get her day started.

The images of last night's terror would dance through her head as she waited in line to order her drink. This was her least favorite part of the morning. She didn't enjoy having to talk to anyone. Especially not after a night like last night. The terror wouldn't seem to leave her. Reaching down, she fiddled with her wrists, trying to loosen the tension that was leftover from last night.

She'd woken up on the couch, which was strange because that's not where she had fallen asleep. This wasn't unusual for Vanessa though, as almost every time she slept, something was bound to happen.