Chapter 22

The drive home was hard for Talon

The drive home was hard for Talon. All he wanted to do was ask Vanessa a million questions, but he had his suspicions about what was going on and wanted to get her somewhere safe before he pried any harder.

Had she really shown up to work in a ball gown with no clue what was going on? He thought to himself as his fingers wrapped around the steering wheel. This was her second mental break in the last month.

Talon took his eyes off the road for a moment to glance at Vanessa. She was leaning against the car window and appeared to be sleeping. Talon knew she needed her rest, so he chose to just leave her be. Even if it was only a twenty-minute nap on the car ride home, it was better than nothing.

The picture of the blue dress she had shown him was still burned into his mind. He'd never seen something so extravagant, with diamonds draped over the skirt and floral details all over the bodice. When would she have ever needed a dress like that, and how could she have found one on such short notice? Talon had dropped her off less than twelve hours before she had to go to work. He'd help her bring her groceries up to her apartment and spent a little time kissing her on the couch before he finally drug himself home. Vanessa had been ready for bed when he left, and he heard her lock the door behind her.

So where did Vanessa go?

Talon knew this was getting dangerous and she couldn't live on her own anymore, not if she was going to go to random places in the middle of the night and not remember it in the morning. Maybe losing her job would be a good thing, since Talon could use it as an excuse to ask her to move in with him.