Chapter 24

"Talon!"

"Talon!"

The noise shattered through the darkness like a screeching cry from an abandoned baby. Talon's eyes shot open as he lay on the bed, startled by the sudden scream in his ears. He looked around the room, trying to decipher what had happened. His head shot off the pillow. He rubbed his eyes and waited for them to adjust to the lack of light of the very early morning. Vanessa kicked in the bed next to him. Talon flipped over and placed his hand on her shoulder. He watched her face scrunch up in horror, twisting at whatever was going on behind her closed eyelids.

"Hey, hey, I'm right here." He whispered. He shook her slightly, hoping some movement would jostle her awake.

"Where! Where are you?" She shouted. Talon could feel the fear coursing through her body. Goosebumps lined her skin as her body shook. Talon looked around the room and tried to decide what he was supposed to do. He could get out of bed and run over to the light, turn it on and hope it would be enough to wake Vanessa up naturally. But he didn't want to leave her confused about what was going on, and possibly cause a mental break for her.

Vanessa kicked in her sleep again and continued groaning. It seemed like she was shouting for something, but Talon couldn't figure out what.

"Vanessa!" He said, harsher than he had meant to. "Wake up." He put force on her shoulder and shook her harder this time, hoping it would be enough to pull her out of her nightmare.