Chapter 05

Orange lights flickered

Orange lights flickered. Dancing against the darkness. The light created shadows across what felt like a black screen. The warmth of the color matched the warmth on Vanessa's skin. Taking over her body like a comforting blanket. She shifts in the chair. Feeling the flames reach closer to her.

The air felt heavy, thick, and dirty. All things you wouldn't really want to breathe in. With every breath Vanessa took, her lungs labored, aching for fresh mountain air.

The lights swayed, dancing like a snake in a basket, rocking back and forth. Vanessa could hear drums in the background, soft rattling noises echoing in the distance.

An almost soothing humming followed the noise.

The flames became a hand, reaching outward from the darkness, towards her leg. She felt a sizzle, and then the smell of burning flesh followed. Vanessa yanked her foot away, pulling her body from the heat source with a yelp of surprise.

Pain throbbed in her ankle, and the bottom of her dress was singed. She rubbed away the soot marks, wishing the dress would repair itself. This was her favorite dress.

Vanessa blinked, looking around the familiar space. It looked real. The pain certainly felt real. She blinked a few times, checking to make sure her eyes were actually open. Small tingles ran up her spine to settle in the crook of her neck. This couldn't be a dream-right?