Chapter 20

Over the last couple of weeks, Talon did everything he could to convince Vanessa that she needed to listen to the doctor and do the sleep study

Over the last couple of weeks, Talon did everything he could to convince Vanessa that she needed to listen to the doctor and do the sleep study. Everything always came back to the same excuse. She didn't want to become a lab experiment like the one in her nightmares. Talon could understand that, and felt like there was no getting around feeling like that; but if she could get rid of the nightmares forever, why wouldn't she? This could open up a whole new world for her, one where Vanessa was well-rested and felt safe. While Talon pushed the shopping cart around the grocery store, he watched Vanessa closely, especially as she examined every item before putting it in the cart.

He knew if she didn't take so long with every minor item they would have been done by now, but Talon didn't mind the extra time with her. He'd drop her off at her apartment tonight, since she said she needed to ‌get some sleep before work tomorrow with no distractions. He understood her reasoning, but he wanted to beg her to come stay with him. He hated the nights that she wasn't sleeping beside him, well in this case, laying beside him.

Talon wanted to fix everything for Vanessa. To help her figure out whatever was haunting her. She says she can't remember when it all started, but Talon felt like there must have been a time in her life where she didn't have nightmares.

He thought about the infants in the hospitals. They weren't having nightmares, even in the very rare cases. He couldn't picture her as a tiny little baby shaking in her sleep from fear of whatever creature was coming after her. Talon really didn't know what her nightmares were about. Whenever he asked, she seemed to forget. He found this terribly confusing and was frustrated whenever the conversation would go in that direction. She complained about how vivid they were, and that she felt like they were still happening even when she was awake, and yet she couldn't remember a single detail that she could share with him.