The Ever Watchful Eye

The fellowship had shared a room that night. We were all tucked into our small areas, mine which had happened to be in the far back corner. We were back and safe in Rohan but we were planning the march to Gondor.

I sat in the back leaning against the creaky wooden wall. The others had fallen asleep long ago but I struggled, I was struggling on the brim of peace and worry. On one hand almost all of the people that I cared about were all there peacefully asleep, though I was missing Neo who was in Rivendale by now, Leverin and Fallen who were in a different room and Frodo and Sam who were both probably almost at Mordor by now if all had gone well. But the events of today had frightened me. In my blinded anger I had lashed out at Leverin. I could have hurt him if he wasnt already half shifted and that thought sickened me to the stomach.

When had I begun to care for so many people? The list had started growing ever since I joined the fellowship. Some days I don't think it is worth it and other days I wouldn't give it up for the world. It could be the most frustraiting thing ever or it could be the thing I am most thankful for in my entire life.

Sometimes I wonder if it would have been better for me to stay in Fangorn forest and not answer Gandalf, to remain hidden and solitary and live out my days alone. But I know that in the end that this is the path I much rather would have taken.

As I watched them sleep I relized how diffrent they all were. Gandalf had a light snore and clutched the seeing stone. Aragorn on the other hand was curled on his mat muttering in his sleep. A little ways from Aragorn was Legolas who slept perfectly straight and hardly did anything. As if he were dead and layed out in a coffin. It was slightly eery. On the other side of the room was Merry who tossed and turned in his sleep mumbling something about roast beef and fireworks. Pippin who lay beside Merry didn't move much accept for the occasional twitch and grimace.

I sighed, we were safe and there was nothing to worry about. I shifted down onto my mat and quickly fell asleep.

The was a loud smash and I was up like a bolt of lightning, dagger in hand. Pippen was on the floor convulsing like a mad animal. His horrible scream ripped through my ears. Aragorn and I lunged to smack away the seeing stone.

The moment the stone touched my hand a raging pain spilled through my body in waves. The last thing I heard was a terrible screech bursting from my lips like the roar of a dragon before the darkness fell over me like a veil.

__________________________

Blood, so much blood. The fellowship lay before me. Legolas's head lay before my feet his eyes open but empty of life and soul. I could see someone in a hooded cloak fighting and killing them. The figure smacked the sword out of Aragorn's hand with a resounding clang. The figure raised their own sword above their head letting out a horrible rasping sound. The sword was familiar but in the state that I was in I couldn't recognize it. No! I tried to scream but the words never left my lips. I tried to move my legs and jump in front of the sword but my body refused to move.

I was forced to watch as the glittering sword swung down and cut through him. His warm blood splattered me and soaked through my clothing. His dark eyes met mine. " Why didn't you help us?" He screamed as the life drained from him and his eyes fluttered shut. I was drowning in it. I was drowning in my companions blood. It filled my mouth, it was warm and thick running down my throat.

It all blurred. The people, swords, blood and battle field all seemed to converge and swirl until I couldn't tell rock from person.

Then the scene shifted. I was flying over Middle earth. In circles and circles watching it be destroyed and orks run over the land. Fangorn forest cut down and Rivendale burned. I flew for days that turned into months and months that turned into years of watching and not being able to help. Not one soul did I save not even as I watched helpless children cut down in the streets. I was unable to help all I could do was fly.

The scene shifted again. I was sitting outside for a cell in Mordor. A small boy sat inside of the cell weeping. He was blond with a dirty face and sad green eyes. He looked up at me and then my hands. I glanced down and spotted keys, the keys to the cell lay in my hands. " Please." Neo whispered. " Please help me, let me out." Tears ran down the boys face. I tried, I tried so hard but I could not move. The cell went up in flames. I could feel them from here. Reds and oranges licked hungrily at the boy. " ANASTASIA!" He screamed and then he was gone lost in the flames. The flames reached out to me and this time I didn't struggle, I let them take me, wishing for once that flames could kill me and somehow my wish came true and the world went black again.

I felt my self lying on something cold and hard, face down on me stomach. Hot tears ran down my face. " Why didn't it kill me, why didn't I die." I whispered. My body ached and spasmed as I slowly pushed myself up. I was in a throne room and on the throne sat Saron. " YOU KILLED THEM!" I screamed. I ran for him yearning to tear him apart. He flicked out his metal covered finger and I was sent flying. My body slammed against the back wall. I heard a crunch as about five of my ribs broke.

Saron's laughter started. It was low and raspy, hissing like a snake and sending shivers down my spine. " It was an illusion, but I will fulfill it, unless you join me, join me and your loved ones will be spared." He demanded in his booming voice. His eyes blazing as they watched me laid against the wall. " A-an illusion." I whispered. Relief washed over me. They were alive. But it was confusing, it seemed so real, felt so real. He would not harm them, they would be safe if I joined him. Joining him made sense. They would be safe. My mind felt strange though as if I couldn't think straight. My mind felt fuzzy but in a relaxing way. Join him. I thought. But there was a small voice at the back of my mind. No! It said. Fight! He will not spare them! Do not let him in! He will destroy all! The voice started out quiet. But it got louder and louder. Until it was screaming so loud I felt my head might burst.

My mind snapped back into focus. " No." I rasped quietly. " You would not spare them." I murmured. " NO!" I screamed the sound of my voice echoed in the silent black marble hall. His eyes narrowed. He flicked his finger up and an invisible hand lifted me into the air by my neck and brought me over to Saron. I was chocking. " Fine, have it your way she-dragon." Saron hissed and waved his hand in a downward motion. My body slammed into the ground with incredible force and everything went black again.

I was standing on the edge of Fangorn forest. Leverin sat before me on a horse. " I never want to see your face again Anastasia!" He spat, a look of disgust on his face. He turned the horse and road off. " No!" I screamed. " Don't leave me!" I screamed. They always leave in the end." I heard a rasping voice behind me. Saron emerged from the forest and stood beside me, watching Leverin ride off. " Don't they." He whispered. " Join me. There would be no one to hurt you." He said. I dropped to my knees crying. " No, no, no. He would never leave me and even if he did he would always come back." I wept. " But he did." Saron whispered in my ear. I shuddered. But something was off. " This isn't real." I whispered. " This isn't real." I spoke louder. Saron smile a dark smile. " Then you won't mind watching him die." My head jerked to face Leverin riding on his horse of its own accord. I could still see every detail from here. Every detail as an arrow pierced his heart and he fell off his horse and died. " No!" A scream left my lips. The world went black.

__________________________

" No, no!" I murmured. I was laying on something soft. " It's alright you are safe now." I could hear Leverin's soft voice by my face, his warm breath on my cheek. My eyes flew open. " Leverin!" I said. Without even thinking I wrapped my arms around his shoulders and kissed him. He froze for a moment and then kissed me back and for a moment in time I felt completely safe. I was safe in his arms.

No matter how bad the nightmare, it always gets better, you always wake up.

__________________________

This chapter is an early Christmas gift. Merry Christmas!!
This is also for a friend. You know who you are.
Bye!