The Dark Path Ahead

Small tendrils of smoke wafted up from the candles around the tent filling it with the thick scent of candles. The tent was warm, almost to warm. In the dim lighting my dragon eyes picked out Lord Elrond sitting near the back of the tent.

I froze in the entryway. Last we met he did not have much trust for me nor did I have much trust for him. But I was meant to protect him and his people.

" Lady Shadow, it has been a while." Elrond's deep quiet voice erupted in the silence. I took another tentative step inside the tent. " Do sit down." He said gesturing to a cushion on the ground. I gracefully lowered myself onto the cushion gathering the skirt of my dress around me. As I lowered myself down I refused to take my eyes off of Lord Elrond. An unease coursing through me.

" Welcome, Lady Shadow. We have much to discuss but little time." He seemed to be surveying me, almost trying to figure me out. " I am aware of what happened to your people." He started. This did not comes as a shock to me. He had a few years on me in age and would have been there during the Dragon Wars. I nodded slowly. " I have come with a deep apology for you and your people on behalf of the elves. I understand that an apology is hardly enough to right the wrongs done to you and your people to I have also come with an offer." He pause. I raised my eyebrows. An offer from Lord Elrond? I thought to myself.

" What would this offer be?" I asked anxious to get straight to the point. Killing orks and fighting battles was something I was good at doing, but political conversation with a powerful elvish lord put me on edge.

He gave a small smile. He obviously could sense my discomfort. " It is more of a gift and I was hoping that you, Lady Shadow, would have some ideas. I am offering you whatever you are in need of. Within reason of course." He paused and studied my face obviously trying to read my change in features.

" Something that I need." I repeated. I had never really had thought about it. I had what I needed. All of my supply's that I needed to live were in my pack, my horse rouge was in good health and I even had acquired friends that were will to go as far as to die for me. What more did I need? " I require nothing." I said looking into his old dark eyes in the dim lighting of the tent.

He smiled. " Nothing?" He questioned with a knowing look on his face.

" I have all I need." I explained. " I have clothes, food, a good horse and good friends." I finished. It was strange having this conversation with someone I had feared for so long. A powerful elf, not powerful enough when the war happened to stop it and I don't believe he took part in it but he still frightened me just because of his rank. Life works in funny ways.

Elrond had a faint smile on his face. " You posses wisdom. But my offer still stands, if you are even in need of something I would wish for you to contact me."

I nodded. " Thank you. I am honoured Lord Elrond. I do have a question though." I paused. " There was a young boy by the name of Neo. He came with a messenger to your people. He is important to me and I am wondering how he fairs." I furrowed my brow.

" Ah yes. The young boy with emerald eyes. He came to our people shortly before I left. He is being well taken care of. He is well loved among my people, we haven't had one so young in the walls of Rivendale for a very long time." He said his voice taking in a soothing tone.

I nodded. " Thank you for your kindness Lord Elrond." I rose up from my pillow and started to leave the tent.

" You should smile more often. You might find it beneficial." I paused by the doorway to the tent. Lord Elrond's voice held a hint of humour in it. I stood for a moment in the doorway without turning around. A small smile crossed my face and then I left, disappearing into the night.

__________________________

It was early in the morning. Outside of my small stuffy tent my sharp hearing could pick up the sounds of scuffling feet. The call to break camp had not been made yet. I shifted in my tent to quickly dress myself and then crawled out.

Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli were packing there things and looked to be preparing to leave. I felt hurt, why would they be leaving without me? I coughed loudly and they all stopped to look at me. I saw a flash of guilt on Aragorn's face and I could feel Legolas's guilt through the link. " Where exactly are you all going?" I asked keeping my voice calm and even even though on the inside I was far from that.

They all stopped to look at each other obviously unsure of what to say or do. I raised my eyebrows at them as if to say 'I'm waiting'. Then Aragorn spoke up. " We are going into the dark valley, there is something in there that I believe will be able to help us." He looked me in the eyes as he spoke, his tone was even and he was standing straight as if he had nothing to hide. It was then that I realized what a great king he would make. He was brave but also intelligent. Calm but not a coward. He had the ability to bring reason into any situation.

" I'm coming with you." I stated flatly. They all stared at me for a moment obviously grasping at any way to tell me no.

" You need to stay here, these men need all the help they can get. Your a dragon! Think of all the help you could give them." Legolas responded quickly.

I raised my eyebrows. " And Leverin is not able to protect them?" I responded. Legolas didn't say anything. " I am coming with you." I said with a final tone in my voice. Without another word I sound around and set to work collecting my belongings. Which didn't take long considering my lack of possessions.

Everything I needed to put away was done quickly and I set to work tacking Rouge. He whinnied as I approached him and shook his chestnut mane. "I'm sorry no apple right now boy." I spoke softly patting his side. In response to my words he stamped a hoof as if throwing a tantrum. " You be good, you hear me. We have a lot of dangerous work today I don't want you misbehaving." I said in a mocking tone.

As breeze blew and I caught the faint scent of pine in the air. " It is rude to come up behind someone unannounced." I said with out turning around.

" Do you always speak to your horse like that?" Leverin responded. I let out a short barking laugh but didn't give a response other than that. For a moment there was only the sound of me tacking Rouge and the wind blowing through the air to fill the silence. It felt like the silence was expanding growing worse and worse as at first a minute ticked by and the two. Finally I heard Leverin take a deep breath. " Were you just going to go?" He said quietly. " Not tell me. Not say goodbye?" I could hear that he was hurt. I stayed silent and refused to turn around. I couldn't look at him.

" Anastasia!" I flinched at his sharp tone. Images from my reoccurring nightmare flashed through my brain. Leverin riding away, my arrow burrowing into his back. I closed my eyes and breathed deeply. I felt his hand close tightly around my shoulder and a jolt of fear ripped through me. The images from my dream growing more real.

I jerked away from his hand. " I can't do this!" I yelled. " I don't know what happened at Helms Deep but whatever it was it won't work. I could never be part of a family or have children! I am meant to be alone and I always will be alone. People die and I won't be a casualty of that anymore. I won't let you do that to me!" I spun around to face him and immediately regretted its. The utter pain was written across his face and in his lack of concentration his eyes slide back to their natural gold.

" I especially won't do that to you." I said softly. " I have a duty to fulfil, one that will probably take my life. I won't hurt you like that." I closed my eyes as I felt my heart twisting in my chest. I grabbed the reins of the now tacked Rouge and walked away. Leverin didn't stop me. He didn't even give me a goodbye.

__________________________

Sorry to all of you people who have been waiting so long for this chapter. Hope you are all having a great summer.
-Shadowhunter