Billet-doux

Heya! So here's the update. I hope you'll enjoy this chapter :) Has anyone read Remains of The Day? Quite interesting, if i'm honest. Anyways, Enjoy!

It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. - J.K. Rowling

Dear A.,

Did you know that love is the most powerful force and emotion in the world? It has the power to inspire and motivate one person to go to unheard lengths to recapture love that was lost. It also has the power to inspire writers to create writings in which becomes the greatest masterpieces to exist.

You are that inspiration. In Squahamish, you are my favorite hello and the hardest goodbye. I'm glad that we get to this again and surely happy to have had received your letter.

Ellie Chu.

After reading the letter Ellie sent, I was puzzled and flattered concurrently. It has been from way back when we shared letters. Maybe she wanted to begin where we left off after I dated Paul. Though, part of the letter didn't make sense to me, which letter did she receive from me? Has she just gotten a letter from which I had sent long ago and was just delivered recently? Nonetheless, I'm overjoyed that we get to do this again.

I got my notepad out and started writing.

Dear Ellie,

It's definitely pleasing to find inspiration and I am thrilled that I am one of yours. I think our feelings are mutual in terms of inspiration. Though, since when have we determined in calling each other by initials?

Indeed, it was hard to say goodbye to you, but it's only temporary. You won't get rid of me that easily. For a fact, you will be seeing me soon!

Aster Flores.

-

Another day passed and I have been dreading for the semester to end. It's not like I don't enjoy it, I do, it's just that, I'm away from my only family and friends. It's not as easy to make friends here in Grinnell, you would think that Liberal Arts students are of my level, but in fact, they are more cutthroat than I am. In many ways, I wished that I were able to make friends as easily as I could, but in reality, I'm still the introverted person I was back in Squahamish.

I headed back to my dorm room right after Dr. Tyler's lecture. Luckily, today it was just one lecture and I could get some sleep or do something much more productive. Maybe Aster's letter will come today? It's been a good three days. As I walked up to my dormitory, I checked the mail and there it was, a letter. A smile formed on my face at the sight of Aster's handwritten letter. I read it as I entered the elevator, unlocked my door, settled my things down and began to write a reply.

Dear Aster,

I'm animated by your response. Ultimately, the goodbye, for a fact, was a temporary one. I'm overjoyed to notify you that, I will be coming back home for Christmas and will be attending the Advent Event at church. I know that it is months away, but I would hope that you would join me for it?

On another note, I thought that you initiated to be called by initials, according to the last letter that I received from you. Anyways, I hope you are doing well, say HI to Paul for me! I'll see you soon.

Ellie

I closed off the letter, sealed it and addressed it to Aster. I ran out of my dorm room and walked towards the nearest post box right outside campus. On the way there, I reminded myself to grab some snacks and Yakults from the convenient store before I head back.

A lot of thoughts flew across my mind as I was walking back to campus, while carrying my little snacks. After several years living in Iowa, you could really tell the difference between this city and Squahamish. At first, you would think that Grinnell is situated in a large city, bustling with skyscrapers, or rather, civilization. To my surprise, Grinnell is situated in a cornfield, isolated. Though it seems like it's similar to Squahamish, well the difference that sits between these two places is the diversity of the people. I could finally be someone other than "the Chinese girl" from the block.

Taken aback from my thoughts, I was nearing my dorm as I noticed a letter situated on my mailbox. Before I got any closer though, a person ran into me, making me drop all my things on the floor. I immediately got down and tried to pick them up as this stranger attempted to help.

"I'm so sorry, I spaced out." The person in which the name I don't know of spoke. "It's fine. I could've avoided the collision, but I was caught of guard too." I admitted. So, to speak, this person looked quite familiar. I couldn't put my finger on it though. "Here" the random stranger said while handing me the rest of my belongings before smiling and walking off.

I collected the letter from my mailbox and to my surprise, another letter from Aster? Multiple letters in a day, she must've wanted to write more. I headed back to my room and stored all my snacks in my miniature refrigerator. Walked back to my desk and opened the letter. Weirdly enough, the letter was typed by a typewriter. Similar to the very first letter I got from when I got back.

Dear Ellie Chu,

Did you know that falling in love may be one of my favorite feelings ever? There is actually a chemical process that happens to a person when they fall in love. All of ones senses become of greater intensity.

For months, weeks and days, the color seemed brighter, sound much more resonant and the smell become more powerful when I am reminded by the feeling of love. Whenever you see the person you admire the most, there is no greater feeling in the world. There is no time spent without the thought of that person.

Falling in love is truly an awesome feeling, and that love is, you.

A.

The letter was so sweet and tender. The feelings put into this is so pure, vulnerable and exposed. It's amazing how one person could feel this way and it is true that love is a powerful feeling. I haven't felt this way towards anyone else, the strong connection and understanding, just pure joy.

I grabbed my notepad and began to write. As I was about to scribble my name, there was a knock on my door. I wonder who is at the door, since I don't usually get any visitors, and this is the first time anyone has ever knocked on my door.

I walked up towards the door and turn the knob of my door and was greeted by the person I would have least expected.

"Hi, I'm A-"

A/N There you have it, another chapter! I hope you enjoyed this part of the story. A little more focused on the letters right now, but I hope that's okay. 

Hopefully, I get to post the next bits in the next few days, I got to start being productive but I have been shamefully binge watching The Half Of It. 

Anyway, thanks for reading and I hope you'll enjoy the rest! Let me know what you think?