Chapter 13

Third POV

Haytham fired his pistol, causing the male threatening (Y/N)'s life, to move a bit to the side. However, it wasn't enough as he fired his more modern pistol. The assassins watching in horror as (Y/N)'s grip slipped from the cliff face, as she fell limply down towards the ground. 

Haytham dropped his pistol, running up to catch the fall girl. She landed into his outstretched arms, he adjusted his grip to carry her bridal style. Haytham glared up at the man as he grabbed the staff, "Thanks for the staff gentlemen." He then left through the opening in a hurry. 

Ezio bolted past Haytham, climbing the cliff face with ease, Jacob, Edward, and Arno following right behind him as the climbed up to the hole. Haytham was tempted to follow them, but at the moment he had something important to take care of. 

He lowered himself to his knees, placing (Y/N)'s head onto his lap. Malik made his way to his side along with Evie and the others. Malik bent down onto his knees, examining her with his eyes. He looked up at Altair with confusion glistening in his black eyes. "There is no wound on her." He spoke, causing everyone to look at each other confused. 

"Of course not, he has very terrible aim." 

(Y/N)'s POV

"Of course not, he has very terrible aim." I say, opening up my eyes while sitting up. I look over at Haytham, giving him a quick nod, "Thanks for the catch." 

"Wait you just ... let go?" I hear Connor questioned, confusion sparkling in his brown eyes. 

"Or did you slip?" Altair questioned, crossing his arms, looking down at me with an arched brow. 

I shake my head as I stood up, dusting myself off, "Nope. I let go." I turned to look up towards the exit, then looked around to see who left. I remember hearing footsteps and grumbles of curses. "Jacob, Ezio, Edward, and Arno." I whisper to myself before nodding. "That should be convincing enough." 

"Convincing enough for what?" Evie questioned, Haytham and Malik pushing themselves up onto their feet. 

I look over at Evie with a smirk, "To believe that staff is the real one." I then look back up at the opening, wondering when it would be ok to come up. 

"Wait ... that one is a fake?" Henry questioned. 

"Why didn't you tell us lass?" Shay questioned further, taking a few steps towards me.

"Because." I started, turning to look at them. "You guys wouldn't have reacted the way you did. Besides we didn't have time to make a plan." I say with a small shrug, turning my whole body to face them. "Sorry." I say with a small smile. 

Malik placed his arm around my shoulders, "Just don't scare us like that again." 

I shake my head, "Don't worry I won't, when we get back home after all this we can make up like ... a secret movement or something." 

"So how did you know it was a fake?" Altair questioned. "It looked real to me." He added, knocking Malik's arm off my shoulder, causing Malik to glare at him. 

"I'll explain everything up top." I say, gesturing to the hole. "I just don't know if it's safe to go up top or not." 

"I'll look." Evie volunteered, climbing up the rock face with ease. I silently wished I could climb like that, she makes it look so easy. Evie reached the top, looking out of the hole, seeming to scare the area before looking down, "They're gone!" She called out, before stepping out of the hole. 

I nod, beginning to climb up with Haytham right behind me as we ascended towards the cave. "Need me to carry you?" Altair asked with a smirk, looking over at Malik. 

Malik rolled his eyes, "Let's just get this over with." 

I reached the top, not as quickly as Evie, but reached the top none the less. I stepped out of the whole onto the hot dessert sand, the wind picked up quickly, causing the sand to flow upwards. I grab my bandana, placing it over my mouth and nose so I wouldn't breath in the sand. "Where are they?" I ask Evie, looking around for the assassins that chased after the man. 

"God damn it! Them and their stupid bloody cars!" I look over seeing Jacob walking over with the others following behind him. 

"Did you loose them?" Evie questioned as the last of the group climbed out of the hole, Malik jumping down from Altair's back. 

"Yeah, we were not expecting them to have the cars up and running." Arno answered with his arms crossed. 

"It's called a get away driver, they must've had it prepared when they found the hole." I say with a small shrug. That's when they noticed my presence, all four of them looked at me in shock. I couldn't refrain myself from smiling as I spoke, "What?"

"You weren't shot?" Ezio questioned, looking at me with wide eyes. 

"Nope, she practically played dead." Haytham answered, walking up to my side with his hands clasped behind his back. 

The four seemed to let out a sigh in relief, "Nice one lass. Even had me fooled." Edward complemented, a sly grin forming along his lips. 

"But why did you do it? They got away with the staff." Arno questioned, seeming confused. 

"Because it was a fake, it's not the real staff." I answer with a shake of my head as I begin to walk towards the car we came in to see the tires were slashed. Well at least we don't have to worry about chasing them down. 

"But I still don't understand how it was a fake." Altair stated coldly with his arms crossed. 

"Well, for one thing. The wood that held the staff together looked old." I stated, slipping my backpack off of my back before searching through it looking for my book. "Which made me confused, most of the things in that temple looked like they were brand new. So why was that staff the only thing that looked like it aged?" 

"Because it wasn't the real one." Malik answered. "That explains the painting I seen in the hallway. There were two people making another staff similar to the original."

"Was there anything else?" I question, looking up at him. 

Malik shook his head, "I didn't pay attention to the rest." 

"Darn." I grumble, continuing on searching for the book in my bag. 

"So ... where would the real one be?" Evie questioned, crossing her arms while leaning on one hip. 

I shrug, "I don't know. But, I found something that might help us. The only problem it ..." I trail off as I pull the book out of my bag, turning to the page after the staff. "It's in a different ancient language entirely."