Chapter 4: Power Outage

I smiled grimly.

"I'm....... I'm the oldest race alive, probably the last of my kind."

The words kept flowing past my lips, barely leaving me any time to register what I was saying.

"I wander the empty world alone for millions of years, always aging and forever changing, not bothering to stay anywhere long. I've watched the universe burn and crumble, every race destroyed until I'm left standing alone, the last............. "

He lifted his head, floppy hair covering the disbelief in his eyes.

"The last of the Timelords, yeah?"

I slowly lifted my head, looking at him with curiosity.

"Maybe....... Why would you want to know?"

He smiled oddly, fidgeting with his red bow - tie.

"Well, you know, just............. Curious I guess."

I played with a lever on the console, not making eye contact when I said:

"Right, well let's get you home I suppose."

That's what father always did, take them home. Images filled my mind, burning, screaming, death. I shook my head and leaned against the console, the horrors fading slowly.
He pointed towards the door.

"Actually our ship is out there, I think it's safe now."

I nodded and snapped my fingers, attempting to open the doors. When they remained shut, I frowned, fishing the key out of my pocket.

"Sorry she usually doesn't do this."

He nodded and bounced on his heels as I pushed onto the doors, but to no avail. I spun around yelling:

"Oi! Open up!"

She responded with a few angry clicks and whirs, sealing the door tighter. I sighed.

"She won't open them. I don't know why but I have a few ide-"

The power went out, leaving us in semi darkness, the emergency power booting up. I paced around, chewing my lip, a nervous habit I developed over the years.

He whispered:

"Does this always happen when you have visitors?"

I replied as calmly as I could:

"No, she must have a reason, and I don't have visitors."

We all stayed silent and listened to the hum of the emergency power, pale blue light illuminating our faces as I slumped against the door, thinking.
What was going on?