Prolouge

It's almost time.
I crouch behind a large oak tree, covering my head with the hood of my raven cloak. I hold my future in my hands, it all depends on this moment.
I peek around the thick tree trunk, waiting for the right time to appear.
   School children tread silently past my tree to the entrance of the school, guns ready. I quietly slip into their line, a shining gold key around my neck; now to them I am virtually invisible.
I duck down in the small ditch they made and fold my hands behind my back.
One minute melts into two, until suddenly it's time. I slowly get to my feet, glancing around. The timing must be perfect or this will all have been for nothing.
After searching for less then a second, my eyes finally settle on a man. Brown hair was sticking up in bits everywhere, and he had eyes that seem older than they look. It's definitely him.
He guides the children around the trench, teaching them how to load the cannons.
I take a deep breath, slowly letting it out. It's now or never.
I lift the key from around my neck, momentarily stunning everyone. The teachers scream, and back away into the doors of the school as the students freeze and lock in place. The man just looks at me, with a curious expression on his face. I take that moment to lift my hood, my long dark hair flowing down my back.
Everyone remains silent, their eyes locked on me. I smile fanitly, ignoring everyone else, his eyes meeting my hazel ones. I toss him the key, never breaking his gaze.
It's time to finish what I started.

"I'm so, so sorry. For everything," I whisper

His eyes widen slightly as his mouth opens and closes, words vanished and ripped away.
I nod my head slightly and adjust the slightly dull, silver bracelet wound tightly on my arm.

"Good luck."

With a swish of my cloak I disappear, swirling and spinning through the time vortex, gripping the bracelet like a life line.

It's time to go home.