11// "I'll Tell You A Secret"

11// “I’ll Tell You A Secret”

With my hands still gripping Alisa’s hips, her hands buried in my hair we broke away and looked over at Blondie, Jaxon, James and Cherry who were all sporting grins, snickers and crossed arms. They all looked like they were just watching an R rated comedy live show. I had no idea how long they were standing there for, but thankfully Jaxon had interrupted us because like he said, it probably would have gone further.
“You two okay there?” James added, not even bothering to hide his amused smirk.
“Completely and utterly” Alisa said and stepped back, all to my dismay.

“Here we were enjoying the meteor shower, drinking and smoking” Blondie started, “until we come around here and see you two enjoying the scenery” Right…scenery. I dropped my hands to my sides trying to not let the disappointment show on my face.
“Can we join you in enjoying the scenery?” Blondie asked, clearing not caring that she had interrupted. Without getting an answer she walked up to the concrete wall jumped up and swung her legs over the edge, two hundred feet off the ground. She placed her hands either side of her and swung her legs to and fro, dangerously close to slipping over the edge.

“Great scenery” she mused peering down at the ever moving city. She was followed by Cherry who sat on her left then Jaxon who sat on her right, then James and finally Alisa and I. We sat in a line on the concrete wall with our legs being pulled down by gravity high above the road. I swallowed hard as I tried to not think about how one little slip would send me hurtling to the road and dying half man half pancake. Blondie lit up another cigarette, sucked in a long drag and handed it to Cherry who held it between her twitching fingers. In this light I could see that tonight Cherry was dressed in green, her lips and nails painted the same ivy tone.
“I don’t think I’ve told any of you why I’m in here” Blondie contemplated aloud as she handed the cigarette to Jaxon.

There was uneasy silence between the rest of us,
“I guess I just assumed that people thought you were a sociopath so just chucked you in here” Jaxon answered eventually as he passed the cig to James who refused it and handed it to me.
“Oh true” Blondie continued, “but I had loads of outstanding offences before my parents figured out that I was not your usual rebel”
“What kind of offenses?” I found myself asking. None of us faced each other when we talked just stared out into the moving organism below us, watching as advertisements on the billboards changed and flashed with fancy slogans, the buzz of dozens of pop and new released songs, as well as the hundreds of people chatting and living.
“Shoplifting, illegal substances, peace disturbances” Blondie rolled off her tongue, “just your usual”

“That’s hardly enough grounds for you to be put into a mental institute” James added, siding with the sociopath.
“I know right!” Blondie exclaimed, “what about you twins? What did you do to get in here?”
“Mostly public disturbances” Jaxon answered for them both, “a bit of screaming for ‘no reason’” he did hair quotes for ‘no reason’. I’m guessing many people including their friends and family had said that they had screamed and freaked out for absolutely no reason at all, but I knew for a fact that when someone with bipolar screamed, there definitely was a reason.
“Not as bad as what I did” Cherry murmured timidly at the end of the line, “My parents are business CEO’s and they travel, excessively, extensively, all the goddamn time” She stopped for a moment to take a hefty breath in.

“India, Japan, Australia, Czechoslovakia, Russia, China, Brazil, Canada. They never stopped. It was a new place every few weeks”Cherry’s voice quivered with anger and hatred, “I can still see my parents’ faces when I—” it was noticeable that her teeth were clenched because at the end of the sentence the words started to string together. I was about to open my mouth and tell her to continue, but I kept my trap shut, it was obviously traumatic for her and she wasn’t prepared to continue. I didn’t blame her for that.
“What about you scars?” Blondie shook me awake with her blunt question.