28// I Had To Try

28// I Had To Try

The rain was filtering through my beautiful emerald gown, completely ruining it. I should have worn something more suitable, even the little blue and black number would have been more appropriate. But no. I had decided on the most beautiful and intricate system of lacework to wear out in the pouring rain.

Bare feet, drenched hair, dress clinging to me like a second skin. People were staring at me like I was a loose Bandersnatch. I had to find Hatter. I needed him. Hopefully Salis En Grom would not find out about my escape. But if they did I knew that the Red Queen would find out and she would punish me. Most likely cut off my head…she was always fond of that. Just like she did to the king, whom had once been in love with her. Now this deluded Red Knave was under her charm and McTwisp forced to do her dirty work.

But I had to find him. I had to get to my Hatter. No matter what. Cheshire had been no help and the Tweedles were always bumbling over their words even if they had told me where Hatter had gone I wouldn’t have known. And Hare just secluded herself, always ordering things about in her jittery manner.

But Hatter was gone…and I was gone too. I was lost and I only had half the map. There was a hole in my life that he had filled and now I didn’t even know if I would ever see him again. Maybe my entire endeavour would be in vain. There was no guarantee that the parchment would lead me to Hatter but I had to try. I had to try.

***

“Hatter why is a raven like a writing desk?”
“I haven’t the slightest idea”
oh my Hatter
Oh I have missed you!
Your green eyes and your soft hands
your words and your smile

And then he was not alone
a woman
beautiful with the elegance of a queen
why if my Hatter was harbouring his defence here,
she must be Meewana
The White Queen

***

“You weren’t there—you weren’t there”
tears that fell like the rain

“I think I love you”
“Such accusations should be said with certainty, my dear Hatter”
his kisses were a remedy
they healed from the inside out
the trail of fire that followed
the smell of him and the rain
it cured me
“I love you"