3// "If I Had A World Of My Own"

3// “If I Had A World Of My Own”

Complete and utter confusion, surprise and fear ripple through my body pooling in the nerve endings of my body. This was Alisa? She had naturally blonde hair, something that I had never seen on a girl before. Every girl in school back home claimed they had blonde hair when they had darker than dirt roots. Alisa was slender with a petite figure, her skin milky and smooth even from here. She kept up her cussing through the door of the lounge room, not even attempting to open the damn thing and shout down the hallway. Her voice raised and furiously, clearly not embarrassed by what she was doing. My eyes involuntarily widened and if ever there was a time I was stunned to silence it would have been now.

“Michael close your mouth you look like you’re trying to catch flies” Jaxon whispered to me as him and James reset the board. Alisa kicked the door before shuffling her feet to the far right corner of the room where a tall stool sat untouched. She hopped up and sat cross legged on it and lowered her head till her face was completely hidden in hair. Her hands grasped the seat as her shoulders stood rigid. Should I go and talk to her? Introduce myself? Ask for her name, even though I already knew what it was. Did she notice that I was here?

She wasn’t a kid she looked around my age, about seventeen if I had to say exactly.
“Go on Michael. Say hi” Jaxon urged me in a hushed whisper, “she doesn’t bite”
“Are you sure?” I hissed back making sure that she remained sitting quietly
“She likes new people, just go say hi and be friendly”

I didn’t really want to be friendly. Her crazed eyes had made me cower back in fear. Jaxon, James, Blondie and Cherry had been short on what they had said. She was scary. That’s when I heard her muttering. Low in a rhythm and in a funny kind of language. I got up from my seat and took cautious steps towards where she sat cross-legged on the stool. What should I say? She continued to talk the funny language,

“Twas drillig did slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe; all momsy were the borogroves and the mome raths outgrade”

I was about two feet away from her and was about to say something when she snapped her head quickly to face me which caused me to jump a little and almost step back to the couch. She pushed the curls out of her face and folded them behind her ears. She had a delightful face that was rounded at the cheeks, but quite sharp overall. She had fleeting blue eyes and full lips. Even though my first impression of her was fearful, I could tell this much, she was beautiful. I don’t think I wanted to go home.

I don’t believe in love at first sight. But when I saw Alisa, with her hair out of her eyes, her touchable hair, I for a long second believed that it was true. Her face had no mark on it, even more porcelain than Cherry’s, almost as though she was a doll. Her blonde hair sat in playful ringlets that looked like mellow sunshine. Suddenly my previous thoughts of her diminished, I was no longer afraid I was... 

“Hi” I said sheepishly stepping forward and trying to look her in the eye. Her gaze was already there, at my face, her sky blue eyes were boring into mine with a fascination that was almost hungry. So much for not speaking first, I wondered if she would actually behead me or…get naked.
“Why hello” she said sweetly, okay so far so good. I had not realised that I has been holding my breath for so long, my chest deflated as I let out a long sigh. “I have not seen such vibrant emerald eyes on anyone like you before”
“My eyes?” was all I could say, but I couldn’t help with staring at her as fervently as she did to me. I came even closer to her so that I could look at her better.
“Yes you have such marvellously stunning eyes, green like the forests of Wits End. Then you must be the Hatter!” she beamed wide like a moon crescent.
“Hatter?” I questioned, my heart suddenly not attached to any blood vessels.