At the mercy of the enemy

Merlin was aware that Morgana was watching him and therefore he dared not use magic to make the path clear and thorn-free. Once he was sure he was out of sight of the witch, he stopped walking and called kilgarrah in his deep dragon lord voice. After a few minutes, Merlin heard the sound of huge wings cutting through the sky and soon the dragon was also visible. He landed with a loud 'thud' on the ground.

"Well, well, well young warlock what could you be doing here if not visiting the witch and I hope killing her?"

"I did visit her but I didn't kill her."

"She out beat you? That's not possible. You are Emrys; her doom."

Merlin flinched at this because he  never wanted to be anybody's doom.

"We didn't duel...more like a friendly spar." Merlin mumbled.

"Friendly? What's wrong with you  warlock? And what's wrong with the witch too? How did she not try to kill you? She's not as good as you but she has strong magic too, one that would ensure that you receive a few scratches but I see you are scratch less." The hundreds of years old dragon spoke in his deep voice.

"Maybe because she didn't know it was me?"

"What?"

"I was in a disguise."

"Hmm. And why would that be?"

"Because I require Morgana's help to save Arthur. "

" Ah. That ancient spell. That's why you called me. You want a short cut? Well warlock , I'm sorry but there is no shortcut to that. You have to play with the fire if you want to save your king. "

"Can't you tell me any obedience spell?"

"I can, but it will not work.  And your disguises will not either. Everything needs to be done willingly for that spell with no deceits. "

"What?" Merlin groaned.

"You heard me Merlin. Now I will take my leave." The Great dragon said opening his wings.

"Wait! Can you please take me to Camelot? "

" I am not your personal ride;" The dragon snarled exhaling phosphorus from his nostrils.

"I know. I'm sorry but I wouldn't have asked you this unless it was necessary. I'm actually short of time and I have no horse plus I've used a lot of my magic in maintaining that disguise so I can't work out a transportation spell and..."

"Stop babbling. You are a dragon lord, I can't defy you. Hop on."

“But I'm not ordering you."

“I know.”

Merlin thought it better not to mess with the dragon and take what he was offering. He got on to the scaly back of the beast and clung to it's neck with all the force he could master. After all, he was holding for his dear life.

After a few minutes, which felt like ages to Merlin, his foot landed on the solid ground. He groaned in displeasure. He had never enjoyed riding on dragon. He, however, thanked the great dragon and tried to ask for his advice. The great dragon, being the great dragon, gave a riddle to Merlin in answer. Merlin thought better to ignore it. He had too much in his mind already.

He walked to the path leading to the castle, just like he had 7 years ago. He was surprised to find the city still maintaining peace on the streets. Too much peace. Too much quiet. He quickly marched to the castle and as soon as he entered he was greeted by a very pungent smell. It smelled awful; like flesh and explosives. He was walking the main corridor which was lined with doors. He turned to his left after covering his nose with his handkerchief and entered the room. God! The awful scene that greeted him- bodies. Bodies everywhere. He checked the pulse of the body lying on the bed nearest to him; dead. No pulse. No beating heart. Dead silence.