Disbelief

Merlin saw with disbelief in his eyes as Modred plunged a sword into Arthur’s abdomen. He thrust it with such a force that even from far Merlin could easily see that the armor had failed to protect it’s wearer. Merlin, for a moment thought that time had stopped. He hadn’t realized that the bolt of lightning that had just struck Modred dead was his magic’s doing. He had tears in his eyes that blinded his vision. He moved blindly from where he was standing towards his king, his friend, his brother.  Within seconds he was kneeling next to his destiny. The destiny he had failed. NO, he thought. He won’t let Arthur die, he CAN’T die. He shook Arthur’s face who smiled at him.

“So it looks like my time has come, huh? You’ll get to live more than me! I’ll miss you polishing my shoes and armor in the next world, but I’ll tell you what I won’t miss- your cooking”

Merlin found a smile creeping on his tear soaked face despite the fact that he was withering inside, “ Shut up you prat. You are not dying here. I won’t let that happen.”

Merlin stood up and called used his birth dragon lord power of speech to summon The Great Dragon. Arthur looked dumbfounded “Merlin…what…what are you doing? What…what…are you?”

Merlin sat down next to his friend, afraid to look him in the eye and explained in a voice barely audible to even Arthur, “I am a sorcerer and the last of dragon lords, Arthur. I use magic to protect you. It’s your destiny to be a great king and rule Albion while my destiny is to protect you.”

Arthur, growing paler every second opened his mouth to say something, instead an involuntary groan escaped his mouth. Merlin , however glanced at the eyes of Arthur- sadly, they were unreadable but what was the worst of all was they had lost all their warmth.

“You need to lie still. The Great dragon will take care of you.”

Within minutes, Arthur was on the back of the dragon and was soaring in the sky when a ball of flames came flying at Merlin square in chest. Merlin knew he was too late. He was going to die. He didn’t want to die just yet, without knowing whether Arthur made it or…But he knew he had no choice. Arthur was wrong, MERLIN’s time had come before Arthur. All of a sudden he found a translucent shield around him, protecting him from the inevitable death he would've suffered if the fireball had made contact. Bewildered, he looked around for his savior. All he saw was a woman wearing a black robe turning away from him and sprinting with the speed of light into the dark forest. He at once recognized her. Even in the unexpected and disturbing turn of events he couldn't help but admire the silhouette of the woman. The perfect curves of the tight robe around her body. The curls of her hair. The way they were blowing away from her face as she was walking. The gracefulness in her trait. He mentally shook himself and tried to focus at the impossibility - Morgana Pendragon, his mortal enemy had just saved his life. Merlin knew he would require time to think about it...make a decision whether his mind was playing tricks on him or...no, there was so other possibility. Morgana would  never save him.

There was no point in living in the shadows anymore, Arthur knew about his magic now. Morgana had fled. All the bloodshed happening around him was of no use. His friends were dying for no purpose now. But he wasn't sure he was emotionally ready to confront his real identity to the rest of his friends yet. He quickly disguised himself in the body of the old sorcerer who's powers everyone feared. Merlin channeled all his rage and helplessness of failing Arthur and used his magic to command the earth to swallow the enemy troops. Camelot's army looked surprised at the turn of events and found the old man's eyes glowing golden. Leon broke the trance and took a step towards the elder man but to his surprise he was too fast for his age and was gone from sight within moments.

Merlin quickly changed his avatar and ran to someplace where he would be free of prying eyes. Once he was sure he was alone- he once again called the great dragon and commanded to be taken to Arthur.

The great dragon had brought Merlin to Avalon and he immediately understood. This was the only place where he could have been saved- saved through magic. But then again, Arthur had been saved countless times by Merlin's magic. Merlin moved towards Arthur's limp form. He was so absorbed in his thoughts that he had failed to notice the witch standing by Arthur, the healer. And so when she spoke up Merlin got startled.

'He will need time to heal Emyrs. The blade of the sword had penetrated deep in his stomach and he even has some pieces of it stuck inside'.

Merlin didn't need the details but still kept listening to her attentively.  After she was done, he asked her the only question that was circulating in his mind-

“How long?”

"A day? 10 days? 15 days? A month? A year...there's no fixed date Emyrs. I am sorry", she said in a small voice.

Merlin, couldn't help the horrific gasp that escaped him. "Is there anything at all that can help him. Heal him quick? He is the king, his kingdom needs him. His people need him. His queen needs him...I n-need him".

Merlin's vision had blurred by the moisture in his eyes.

" There is but one way to heal him completely and in minimum time..."

"What do I have to do?"

"You need the blood of a person related by blood to King Arthur for his recovery."

Merlin's hope evaporated as quick as it had formed. The only person who shared Arthur's blood was Morgana. His half sister who wanted him dead. But then the impossibility replayed in his mind and he just got confused. Nonetheless, Merlin knew he had to try. It was his destiny to keep Arthur safe and this was his only chance . And he would take it no matter what the cost…

Merlin turned to leave but stopped when he heard the witch say, “Merlin, one more thing; you will need the blood willingly.”

NOTE: YEP, THAT'S SUCKY . BUT, I FELT LIKE I NEEDED TO WRITE A MERGANA STORY BECAUSE I STILL AM NOT OVER THE FACT THAT THE TV SERIES WRITERS TOTALLY DESTROYED MERGANA.  ANYHOW, THANK YOU FOR READING THIS!