Never Make A Promise 14

HAPPY NEW YEAR! It's actually Jan 2, but still. Hee hee, happy new year peoples. Thank you for supporting me and reading my stories and such!

It was lunch time and I was currently searching the cafeteria for Damon. He said that he wanted to talk to me, but I couldn't find him.

"Who are you looking for?" Jordan asked, mouth full of french fries.

"Huh?" I said, snapping my head in his direction. "No one."

"Lie," Seth mumbled, staring into his chemistry book.

"What are you doing?"

"Reading about the element table or whatever it's called," he answered mindlessly.

"Why?" Jordan asked with his mouth now full of his hamburger.

"Because I can."

"Why?" Jordan repeated.

"Why is it such a surprise?" he asked, looking up at us.

"We're talking about you, Seth. You never read," I said. He sighed.

"Fine. You wanna know why?"

"Yes," Jordan and I answered in unison.

"Jane," he whispered to us.

"Oh," I grinned. "So this is about Jane?"

"Should have known," Jordan laughed.

"How long have you liked her?" I asked Seth.

"A while," he said. "Trying to make myself appear smarter for her."

"Seth, don't do that," I said.

"Don't do what?"

"Don't change who you are to impress her. Just be yourself and if she doesn't like it, her loss," I said.

"I suppose I should take girl advice from a girl," Seth sighed. "You're right. I don't even like books, why the hell am I touching one?" He held it away from himself like it was poison and set it on the seat next to him.

"Hayls?" Jordan said.

"Hmm?"

"Someone's staring you down."

"What?" I asked, looking at him. He was staring behind me and I looked to see Damon staring at me. When he saw that I saw him, he gestured for me to come to him. I turned back to Seth and Jordan, who were bickering about their chemistry project. I cleared my throat and stood.

"Where are you going?" Seth asked.

"I need to talk to Damon about the project," I said. Maybe it wasn't a lie. I did have to talk to Damon and maybe he wanted to talk to me about the project after all. I told Seth and Jordan that I would see them later and walked to Damon. He turned and started walking away. Of course, I thought. He would make me follow him. He kept walking, with me a few steps behind him, until we walked into an almost empty hallway with only a couple of people at the end of the hall. He stood across a row of lockers and waited for me. I walked up in front of him and leaned against a locker.

"Yes?" I said.

"I wanted to talk to you about a couple things," he said.

"Let me guess, things like.......your secret, my secret- which I hope you didn't tell anyone about by the way- and the chemistry project," I said.

"All of the above, yes," he said, putting a hand against the locker beside me and leaning in closer to me.

"What would you like to talk about first?"